Principality of Andorra
Principat d'Andorra (Catalan)a
Motto: Virtus Unita Fortior
’United virtue is stronger‘[source?]
and largest city
|Andorra la Vella|
|Ethnic groups |
|Government||Unitary parliamentary semi-elective diarchy|
|Joan Enric Vives Sicília|
|Josep Maria Mauri|
• from Aragon
• from the French Empire
|467.63 km2 (180.55 sq mi) (179th)|
• Water (%)
|0.26 (121.4 ha)c|
• 2016 estimate
|179.8/km2 (465.7/sq mi) (71st)|
|GDP (nominal)||2016 estimate|
|$3.249 billion (162nd)|
• Per capita
|HDI (2016)|| 0.858|
very high · 32nd
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
• Summer (DST)
|ISO 3166 code||AD|
|The Simple English Wiktionary has a definition for: Andorra.|
Andorra (// (listen)), officially the Principality of Andorra, is a landlocked sovereign country located in the eastern Pyrenees Mountains of Southern Europe and bordered by Spain and France. There are about 84,000 people living in the country. The capital is Andorra la Vella. It is ruled by a Spanish Bishop and the French President. Andorra's government is a parliamentary democracy.
Andorra is a rich country mostly because of tourism. There are about 10.2 million visitors each year.
The official language is Catalan, although Spanish, Portuguese, and French are also used.
History[change | change source]
Before 1095, Andorra did not have any type of military protection. The Lord of Caboet and the Bishop of Urgell decided to rule Andorra together. In 1607 Henry IV of France said the head of the French state and the Bishop of Urgell would be co-princes of Andorra.
Andorra doesn't have an Army. France and Spain help to defend Andorra. The country has a police force of 295.
Parishes[change | change source]
Andorra has seven parishes:
Geography[change | change source]
Cities[change | change source]
The largest cities in Andorra are:
|1||Andorra la Vella||19,319|
|4||Sant Julià de Lòria||7,518|
|8||El Pas de la Casa||2,613|
For other locations in Andorra, see List of cities in Andorra.
Religion[change | change source]
Education[change | change source]
Children between the ages of 6 and 16 must have full-time education. Education up to secondary level is paid by the government.
The University of Andorra (UdA) is the state public university. It is the only university in Andorra.
A satellite image of Andorra
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "World Population Prospects: The 2017 Revision". ESA.UN.org (custom data acquired via website). United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. Retrieved 10 September 2017.
- "HUMAN DEVELOPMENT REPORT 2016 – Statistical annex". United Nations. 2016. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- "Andorra". The World Factbook. United States Central Intelligence Agency. July 2, 2009. Retrieved September 14, 2019.
- Estadistica.ad, Departament d'Estadística, Govern d'Andorra. (Catalan)
- "Europe :: Andorra — The World Factbook - Central Intelligence Agency". www.cia.gov.
- "CIA – The World Fact Book – Andorra".