Pashto written in Pashto script (Naskh style).
|Pronunciation||] [paʂˈto], [paçˈto], [puxˈto]|
|Native to||Afghanistan, Khyber pashtonkhwa, Janobi pashtonkhwa and the Pashtun diaspora|
|40–60 million (2007–2009)|
|Arabic (Pashto alphabet)|
Official language in
Academy of Sciences of Afghanistan |
Pashto Academy (Pakistan)
pst – Central Pashto
pbu – Northern Pashto
pbt – Southern Pashto
wne – Waneci
Map of Pashto-speaking regions (orange)
Pashto (Pushto or Pakhto) is the official language of Afghanistan. It is spoken by the Pashtuns living in Afghanistan, Pakistan and India. It is the provincial language in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan.
Pashto belongs to the Indo-European languages family. It has two main dialects, western dialect and eastern dialect. The small difference between these two dialects is in the use of sounds.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Nationalencyklopedin "Världens 100 största språk 2007" The World's 100 Largest Languages in 2007 (39 million)
- Penzl, Herbert (2009). A Grammar of Pashto a Descriptive Study of the Dialect of Kandahar, Afghanistan. Ishi Press International. p. 210. ISBN 0-923891-72-2. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
Estimates of the number of Pashto speakers range from 40 million to 60 million...Unknown parameter
- "AFGHANISTAN vi. Paṧto". G. Morgenstierne. Encyclopaedia Iranica. Retrieved 2010-10-10.
Paṧtō undoubtedly belongs to the Northeastern Iranic branch.
- Constitution of Afghanistan - Chapter 1 The State, Article 16 (Languages) and Article 20 (Anthem)
- "Population by Mother Tongue". Population Census Organization, Government of Pakistan. Retrieved 28 December 2011.
- Sebeok, Thomas Albert (1976). Current Trends in Linguistics: Index. Walter de Gruyter. p. 705.
- "Article Sixteen of the Constitution of Afghanistan". 2004. Retrieved June 13, 2012.
From among the languages of Pashto, Dari, Uzbeki, Turkmani, Baluchi, Pashai, Nuristani, Pamiri (alsana), Arab and other languages spoken in the country, Pashto and Dari are the official languages of the state.