|Initial release||September 19, 2012(iOS 6)|
iOS 6.0 / September 19, 2012
|Operating system||iOS 6 and later|
Passbook is an application in iOS that lets users to keep coupons, boarding passes, event tickets, store cards, 'generic' cards, and other forms of mobile payment. It was made by Apple and announced at the 2012 Apple Worldwide Developers Conference on June 11, 2012. The application was released with iOS 6 on September 19, 2012.
Features[change | change source]
The Passbook application shows the following kinds of 2D barcodes: Aztec, PDF417, and QR. Each digital coupon or ticket is called a "pass". When the user starts Passbook for the first time, a short introduction screen will appear with a button inviting users to find applications on the App Store that integrate Passbook. Passes can also be distributed with the internet via Safari or sent to another user using e-mail.
Passes are synced between iOS devices using iCloud. OS X 10.8.2 and newer also support opening passes to be sent to users' iOS devices. The application is available in iOS 6 or later. It is currently only available on iPhone and iPod Touch, but not on iPad.
Passbook has the following features
- Shows 2D barcodes of following types: Aztec, PDF417, and QR.
- Started by location.
- Started by time of pass.
- Localization of the pass. Up to 35 languages can be stored in each Pass.
- Pass changes can be pushed via the Apple Push Notification Service by the provider of the pass, or manually updated by the user themselves.
Passbook is only officially provided by Apple for iOS. Several third party developers have created unsupported applications for other operating systems, such as PassWallet for Android, that support importing and viewing Passbook passes.
References[change | change source]
- "What is Apple Passbook". PassbookInfo. https://passbookinfo.com/what-is-passbook/. Retrieved 2 Nov 2012.
- Trew, James (June 11, 2012). "Apple unveils iOS 6 at WWDC, launch apps with Siri, Facebook integration, Maps". Engadget. AOL. https://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-unveils-ios-6-at-wwdc/. Retrieved September 22, 2012.
- "Apple Passbook and its potential impact on the travel industry". Tnooz. June 19, 2012. http://www.tnooz.com/2012/06/19/news/apple-passbook-and-its-potential-impact-on-the-travel-industry/. Retrieved September 27, 2012.
- "iOS What's New: Passbook". Apple Inc.. https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/#passbook. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "Designing your Pass so it is appropriate for other languages". Oct 29, 2012. http://code.google.com/p/passkit/wiki/PassLocales. Retrieved Jan 8, 2013.