Paul Newman (born January 26, 1925 - September 26, 2008) was an American actor. He was born in Shaker Heights, Ohio. His mother was a Slovak; his father was a Jew who had one parent from Hungary and the other from Poland. He was known especially for the 1969 movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. He played Butch Cassidy in the movie. He was married to actress Joanne Woodward. He died of lung cancer in 2008.
Retirement[change | change source]
Newman retired from acting in May 2007. He said "You start to lose your memory, you start to lose your confidence, you start to lose your invention. So I think that's pretty much a closed book for me."
He came out of retirement to narrate the 2007 documentary movie Dale, about the life of NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt. He also narrated the 2008 BBC documentary Meerkats: The Movie. It was recorded at a studio near his home shortly before his death. The Meerkats was the last movie credit of Newman's long career.
References[change | change source]
- "Paul Newman quits films after stellar career", News.com.au. May 27, 2007. Hollywood star Newman to retire, bbc.co.uk, May 27, 2007.
- "French film festival to show Paul Newman’s last work". Enjoy France News. 2008-10-06. http://www.enjoyfrance.com/content/view/1697/31/.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Paul Newman at the Internet Movie Database
- Newman/Haas Racing
- Newman's Own
- The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp
- Is Paul Newman ready for his swan song?