Peter Henlein (or Henle or Hele) (1479/1480 – August 1542), was a locksmith and watchmaker from Nuremberg. He is often said to be the inventor of the watch. This is disputed. Henlein was certainly one of the first makers of the watch. Although many say that Henlein invented the mainspring, there are descriptions and two surviving examples show that spring driven clocks had already been made by the early 1400s. He did make improvements to the balance spring, which made it possible to make the watches smaller.
Around 1504 to 1508 Henlein did make a watch; a small, drum-shaped Taschenuhr. It could run for forty hours before it needed rewinding. They were small enough to be worn around the neck, or carried in a bag or pocket. His watch only had an hour hand.
Books[change | change source]
- Jürgen Abeler: In Sachen Peter Henlein. Wuppertaler Uhrenmuseum, Wuppertal 1980
- Maren Winter: Der Stundensammler. Wilhelm Heyne Verlag, München 2004 (Roman), ISBN 3-453-40146-8,1510: Peter Henlein invents the pocket watch
Other websites[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Milham, Willis I. (1945). Time and Timekeepers. New York: MacMillan. ISBN 0780800087., p.121
- "Clock". The New Encyclopaedia Britannica 4. (1974). Univ. of Chicago.
- Anzovin, Steve; Podell, Janet (2000). Famous First Facts: A record of first happenings, discoveries, and inventions in world history. H. W. Wilson Company. ISBN 0824209583., p.440
- Usher, Abbot Payson (1988). A History of Mechanical Inventions. Courier Dover. ISBN 048625593X. http://books.google.com/books?id=xuDDqqa8FlwC&pg=PA305&sig=_SRpwfz0YBAjt2aGxXhmRkZ16GQ., p.305
- White, Lynn Jr. (1966). Medieval Technology and Social Change. New York: Oxford Univ. Press. ISBN 0195002660., p.126-127
- Dohrn-van Rossum, Gerhard (1997). History of the Hour: Clocks and Modern Temporal Orders. Univ. of Chicago Press. ISBN 0-226-15510-2. http://books.google.com/books?id=53K32RiEigMC&pg=PA121&sig=5huN81ukYRbSlxq4MsToTDIXYDY., p.121
- "It's About (German) Time". About.com. http://german.about.com/library/weekly/aa031300a.htm. Retrieved 2008-12-12.