Philip V of Spain
|King of Spain|
|Reign||1 November 1700 – 15 January 1724|
|Reign||6 September 1724 – 9 July 1746|
19 December 1683|
Palace of Versailles, France
9 July 1746 (aged 62)|
|Burial||Royal Palace of La Granja de San Ildefonso|
Maria Luisa of Savoy|
Louis I, King of Spain|
Ferdinand VI, King of Spain
Charles III, King of Spain
Mariana Victoria, Queen of Portugal
Philip, Duke of Parma
Maria Teresa, Dauphine of France
Infante Luis, Count of Chinchón
Maria Antonia, Queen of Sardinia
|House||House of Bourbon|
|Father||Louis, Dauphin of France|
|Mother||Maria Anna Victoria of Bavaria|
Philip V of Spain (19 December 1683 - 9 July 1746) was the second son of Louis, Grand Dauphin and Maria Anna Victoria of Bavaria. He was a grandson of Louis XIV and Marie Therese of Austria and was King of Spain from 1700 – 1724 and again from 1724 – 1746. He succeeded Charles II of Spain who was childless and mad.
He was born at the Palace of Versailles, France. He lost the Kingdom of Naples to Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor and the Kingdom of Sicily to Victor Amadeus II. He died at his the Royal Palace of Madrid.
Family[change | change source]
He married Maria Luisa of Savoy in 1701 and had four children:
- Louis I of Spain (25 August 1707 – 31 August 1724) married Louise Élisabeth d'Orléans, no children.
- Felipe of Spain (2 July 1709 – 18 July 1709)
- Felipe Pedro Gabriel of Spain (7 June 1712 – 29 December 1719) died in childhood.
- Ferdinand VI of Spain (23 September 1713 – 10 August 1759) married Infanta Barbara of Portugal, no children.
He remarried in 1714 to Elisabeth Farnese and had seven children:
- Charles III of Spain (20 January 1716 – 14 December 1788) Duke of Parma, King of Naples and Sicily and later King of Spain. Married Maria Amalia of Saxony and had children.
- Infante Francisco (21 March 1717 – 21 April 1717) died in infancy.
- Maria Anna Victoria of Spain (31 March 1718 – 15 January 1781) married the future Joseph I of Portugal and had children.
- Infante Felipe (20 March 1720 – 18 July 1765) Duke of Parma. Married Louise Élisabeth of France and had children.
- Maria Teresa Rafaela of Spain (11 June 1726 – 22 July 1746) married Louis Ferdinand, Dauphin of France and had children.
- Infante Luis (25 July 1727 – 7 August 1785) Archbishop of Toledo, Primate of Spain. Married morganatically to María Teresa de Vallabriga y Rozas and had issue.
- Maria Antonia of Spain (17 November 1729 – 19 September 1785) married the future Victor Amadeus III of Sardinia and had children.