List of political parties in France
France has a multi-party system, which means that several political parties must form coalitions in order to form a government. This is because it would be very difficult for any one party to win a majority of seats in the French National Assembly. Since the 1980s, there have been two major coalitions; one is a collection of right-wing parties and the other is a collection of left-wing parties.
Right-wing Parties[change | change source]
National Front (Front National) - Promotes strong law enforcement, anti-immigration, Euroscepticism and a return to traditional French values.
The Republicans (Les Républicains; LR) - Promotes conservatism, liberal-conservatism, libertarianism and nationalism. Replaced the Union for a Popular Movement (Union pour un mouvement populaire) in 2015.
Centrist Parties[change | change source]
Left-wing Parties[change | change source]
Minor Parties[change | change source]
Royalists[change | change source]
- Royal Alliance (Alliance Royale)
- Nouvelle Action Royaliste
- Democratic rally (Rassemblement démocrate)
Communists[change | change source]
- French Communist Party (Parti communiste français) - Promotes eurocommunism, communism and democratic socialism.
- Worker's Communist Party of France (Parti Communiste des Ouvriers de France)
- Independent Worker's Party (Parti ouvrier indépendant) - Trotskyist
- Pole of Communist Rebirth in France (Pôle de Renaissance Communiste en France)
Green Parties[change | change source]
- Ecology Generation (Génération Écologie)
- Independent Ecological Movement (Mouvement Écologiste Indépendant)
- Citizenship, Action, Participation for the 21st Century (Citoyenneté Action Participation pour le XXIe siècle)
Centrist[change | change source]
- Union of Radical Republicans (Union des républicains radicaux)
- Liberal Democratic Party (Parti libéral démocrate)
Others[change | change source]
- Pirate Party (Parti Pirate)
- Popular Republican Union (Union Populaire Républicaine) - Promotes Mouvement of national liberation and Frexit.
Regionalist Parties[change | change source]
- Abertzaleen Batasuna - Basque nationalist
- Alsace d'abord (In English:Alsace First) - Alsace nationalist
- Savoyan League (Ligue savoisienne) - Savoy nationalist
- Breton Democratic Union (Union Démocratique Bretonne) - Breton nationalism
- Party of the Corsican Nation (U Partitu di a Nazione Corsa) - Corsican nationalism
- Corsica Libera - Corsican nationalism