Polk County, Iowa
|Polk County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Iowa's location in the U.S.
591.90 sq mi (1,533 km²)
569.35 sq mi (1,475 km²)
22.55 sq mi (58 km²), 3.81%
756/sq mi (292/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
|Named for: President Polk|
Polk County is a county in the U.S. state of Iowa. As of the 2010 census, 430,640 people lived there. It the most populous county in Iowa. The county seat is Des Moines,. Des Moines is also the capital city of Iowa. Polk County is one of the five counties that make up the Des Moines-West Des Moines Metropolitan Statistical Area.
History[change | change source]
Polk County was formed on January 13, 1846. It was named after President James K. Polk. The first courthouse was built in 1846. Construction of a second courthouse was begun in 1858. It was finished in 1866.
Geography[change | change source]
The county has a total area of 591.90 square miles (1,533.0 km2). Of this, 569.35 square miles (1,474.6 km2) (or 96.19%) is land and 22.55 square miles (58.4 km2) (or 3.81%) is water. The county is bisected by the Des Moines River
Adjacent counties[change | change source]
- Boone County (northwest)
- Story County (north)
- Jasper County (east)
- Marion County (southeast)
- Warren County (south)
- Madison County (southwest)
- Dallas County (west)
Communities[change | change source]
Cities[change | change source]
Unincorporated communities[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Population & Housing Occupancy Status 2010". United States Census Bureau American FactFinder. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST05&prodType=table. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- "Data from the 2010 Census". State Data Center of Iowa. http://www.iowadatacenter.org/archive/2011/02/feb10. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Template.cfm?Section=Find_a_County&Template=/cffiles/counties/usamap.cfm. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- United States Office of Management and Budget. "Update of Statistical Area Definitions and Guidance on Their Uses" (PDF). pp. 5, 36.. Archived from the original on 2006-05-14. http://web.archive.org/web/20060514003222/http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/bulletins/fy2006/b06-01.pdf. Retrieved 2006-07-21.
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Polk County, Iowa|
- Polk County government's website
- [Historic Polk County Church: Ankeny Christian Church, Dave Clark pastor]
|Boone County||Story County|
|Dallas County||Jasper County|
|Madison County||Warren County||Marion County|