Potloi or Polloi (literally, "final product" or "end product") is a cylindrical skirt made up of thick fabric that is ornamented with sequins and mirrors. It is usually used by the Meitei Hindu brides in Meitei wedding and the dancers in the Manipuri Rasa Leela dance. Notably, it is not used by the brides in traditional (Sanamahist) Meitei wedding.
Interestingly, Radha and Chandrabali wear green potloi and red blouse whereas the Gopis wear red potloi and green blouse in the Manipuri dance.
Gallery[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Bhandari, Vandana; Kashyap, Ruby (1999). Celebrating Dreams: Weddings in India. ISBN 9788172340308.
- ↑ Thilakavathy, M.; Maya, R. K. (5 June 2019). "Facets of Contemporary History".
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Family in Manipur". 1994.
- ↑ https://books.google.com/books?id=Z6d-IyINtk4C&dq=potloi&pg=PA800
- ↑ https://books.google.com/books?id=wLzDLsEYZGQC&dq=potloi&pg=PA64
- ↑ "Indian Literature". 2007.