President of the World Bank Group
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|President of World Bank Group|
|Term length||Five years, renewable|
List of World Bank Group presidents[change | change source]
acting president of the World Bank GroupDenotes an
|1||Eugene Meyer||1946||United States||Chair of the Federal Reserve,
Federal Reserve Board of Governors
Publisher of The Washington Post
|First World Bank Group president|
|2||John J. McCloy||1947–1949||United States||Lawyer,
US Assistant Secretary of War
|First World Bank Group president with military background|
|3||Eugene R. Black, Sr.||1949–1963||United States||Bank executive with Chase Manhattan Bank,
Executive director with the World Bank
|4||George Woods||1963–1968||United States||Bank executive with First Boston Corporation|
|5||Robert McNamara||1968–1981||United States||US Secretary of Defense,
Business executive with Ford Motor Company
|6||Alden W. Clausen||1981–1986||United States||Lawyer,
President and CEO with Bank of America
|7||Barber Conable||1986–1991||United States||NY State Senator,
|8||Lewis T. Preston||1991–1995||United States||Bank executive with J.P. Morgan & Co.|
|9||Sir James Wolfensohn||1995–2005|| Australia
United States[note 1]
|Corporate lawyer, Banker||First World Bank Group president born outside United States |
First World Bank Group president from Australia
|10||Paul Wolfowitz||2005–2007||United States||Various cabinet and government positions;
US Ambassador to Indonesia,
US Deputy Secretary of Defense,
US Assistant Secretary of State
|11||Robert Zoellick||2007–2012||United States||Bank executive with Goldman Sachs,
Deputy Secretary of State,
US Trade Representative
|12||Jim Yong Kim||2012–2019|| South Korea
|Korean-American physician and anthropologist,
Co-founder of Partners in Health,
President of Dartmouth College.
|First World Bank Group president born in Asia |
First World Bank Group president from South Korea
|2019||Bulgaria||Chief Executive of the World Bank
European Commissioner for the Budget and Human Resources during Juncker Commission
European Commissioner for International Cooperation and Development during Barroso Commission
European Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management during Barroso Commission.
|First woman serving as the World Bank Group president |
First acting World Bank Group president
First World Bank Group president born in Europe
First World Bank Group president from European Union and from Bulgaria.
|13||David Malpass||2019–present||United States||Under Secretary of the Treasury for International Affairs
Chief economist at Bear Stearns
Notes[change | change source]
- The World Bank president is traditionally an American citizen. Wolfensohn was naturalized as American citizen before taking office.
References[change | change source]
- Hurlburt, Heather (March 23, 2012). "Why Jim Yong Kim would make a great World Bank president". The Guardian. Retrieved March 23, 2012.
- World Bank. "Leadership". World Bank Group. Archived from the original on June 25, 2019. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- Reuters (April 16, 2012). "Jim Yong Kim chosen to head World Bank". CNN IBN. Archived from the original on March 24, 2015. Retrieved April 16, 2012.
- "Kristalina Georgieva Appointed Chief Executive Officer of IBRD/IDA". World Bank. Retrieved May 27, 2019.
- "The World Bank's new CEO Kristalina Georgieva lays out her vision for an agile bank". Devex. April 17, 2017. Retrieved May 27, 2019.