|S. S. Rajamouli
|S. S. Rajamouli
|V. Vijayendra Prasad
|K. K. Senthil Kumar
|A. Sreekar Prasad
|M. M. Keeravani
RRR Archived 2023-03-14 at the Wayback Machine (which stands for Rise, Roar, Revolt) is a 2022 Indian Telugu-language period action drama movie. It is written and directed by S. S. Rajamouli. The film is a fictional story about two Indian revolutionaries, Alluri Sitarama Raju (Charan) and Komaram Bheem (Rama Rao), who fought against the British Raj and Nizam of Hyderabad respectively. It stars N. T. Rama Rao Jr., Ram Charan, Alia Bhatt, Olivia Morris, and Ajay Devgn. It was going to release on January 7, 2022, but was postponed indefinitely. Made on a budget of ₹400 crore (US$53 million), RRR was initially scheduled for theatrical release on 30 July 2020, which has been deferred multiple times due to production delays and followed by the COVID-19 pandemic. Finally, the film was theatrically released on March 25, 2022.
Plot[change | change source]
In 1920, British General Scott and his wife visit Adilabad district, and forcefully take away Malli, a Gond tribal girl to serve as their maidservant in Delhi. To rescue the girl, Komaram Bheem arrives in Delhi with his men. They capture a wild tiger in the forests to aid their mission. Nizam of Hyderabad warns Scott's office about the same.
Alluri Sita Rama Raju is a police officer who proves his ability to serve the Empire. When Lady Buxton offers a promotion to the officer who catches the leader of the Gond tribe alive, Ram comes forward. He attends a meeting of the independent activists and proposes to assassinate Scott. As their goals seem to align, Bheem's aid Lachhu asks Ram to meet Bheem. However, Lachhu flees when he senses that Ram is a police. Lachhu tells Bheem about this who asks him to hide.
Ram and Bheem accidentally meet and team up to save a boy. Bheem introduces himself as a Muslim named Akhtar while Ram hides his identity of an officer. They become best friends. Bheem comes across Scott's niece Jennifer when they are trying to sneak into the palace. Ram helps Bheem to get close to her. Jennifer invites Bheem to a party which the duo attend. Impressed by his dance, Jennifer invites Bheem to the palace. Bheem silently meets Malli, assuring her rescue. Ram captures Lachhu to ask whereabouts about their leader but in vain. Lachhu gets hold of a common krait and throws it onto Ram which bites him. Lacchu warns Ram that it can kill him within an hour without anti-venom, known only to Gond people. Ram finds his way to Bheem who saves him. Bheem confesses to Ram by telling him about their mission.
Bheem and his men barge into the palace with a truck full of wild animals. Bheem unleashes them onto the British soldiers. However, Ram obstructs him as a police officer. Bheem pleads not to arrest him but Ram does not budge. Furious, Bheem fights off Ram, and goes on to climb the palace walls. Ram stops him while General Scott holds Malli at point blank. Bheem surrenders with no option left.
Bheem is sentenced to death via a public execution. Scott offers mercy if he kneels but Bheem refuses despite heaving lashing by Ram. He sings a song which motivates the public to rebel. Bheem is taken away by the officers. Ram recalls that his father Venkat Ramaraju had rebelled and sacrificed his life against the British. Venkat takes a promise from Ram that he'd a deliver a weapon to every person who takes part in the rebellion.
Venkat's friend Venkateswarulu informs Ram that his promise is going to be fulfilled since he is appointed as in charge of a shipment of arms. Ram, however, puts saving Bheem and the girl as his priority. He requests Scott to execute Bheem in the outskirts as a part of his plan. However, Scott recognizes the ploy, and injures him. Bheem frees himself and fights the guards off. Ram shoots a Britisher over Malli's head to save her. Misunderstanding this as an attack, Bheem beats up Ram and escapes with Malli. Bheem and his men hide in Hathras but the British officers arrive there. Sita recognizes that they are in danger and drives away the officers by lying that the place is infected with small pox. Sita reveals that she is Ram's cousin and love interest. She adds that Ram is sentenced to death as he went against the British to save his best friend. Bheem regrets his actions and promises Sita to rescue Ram.
Bheem sneaks into the Barracks with the help of blue print given by Jennifer. He frees Ram from the prison, taking him on his shoulder as the latter is unable to walk. Together, they fight the guards and escape. Bheem treats Ram, however, the soldiers attack them in the woods. Ram takes bow and arrows from a shrine of Lord Rama and retaliates. Bheem joins him with a javelin. They fight off the soldiers and head towards the palace. They blast a motorcycle into a room full of TNT, and explode the building. Bheem retrieves guns and ammunition and delivers it to Ram. Lady Scott is killed in the chaos while Scott is killed by Ram and Bheem.
They reunite with Sita, Jennifer and others. Upon Ram's insistence, Bheem requests to return the favour by educating him. Ram returns to his village and delivers the weapons as promised while Bheem returns to his hamlet, reuniting Malli with her mother.
Cast[change | change source]
- N. T. Rama Rao Jr. as Komaram Bheem, a Gond tribal leader from Telangana who fought against the Nizam of Hyderabad for the liberation of Hyderabad State.
- Charan as Alluri Sitarama Raju, an independence activist and a tribal leader from Andhra Pradesh. He was involved in the Indian independence movement and fought against the British Raj.
- Varun Buddhadev as Young Alluri Sitarama Raju
- Ajay Devgn as Venkata Rama Raju, Rama Raju's father
- Alia Bhatt as Sita, Rama Raju's cousin and love interest
- Spandan Chaturvedi as Young Sita
- Shriya Saran as Sarojini, Rama Raju's mother
- Samuthirakani as Venkateswarulu
- Ray Stevenson as Scott Buxton
- Alison Doody as Lady Buxton
- Olivia Morris as Jennifer, Bheem's love interest
- Chatrapathi Sekhar as Chandu, Bheem's companion
- Makarand Deshpande as Bheem's companion
- Rajeev Kanakala as Venkat Avadhani, special advisor to the Nizam
- Rahul Ramakrishna as Lacchu
- Edward Sonnenblick as Edward
- Chakri as Rama Raju's brother
References[change | change source]
- "RRR budget revealed. The amount of Jr NTR and Ram Charan film will blow your mind". India Today. 14 March 2019. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- "SS Rajamouli begins shooting for the second schedule of RRR starring Jr NTR and Ram Charan". Times Now. 22 January 2019.
- "t's official! Alia Bhatt and Ajay Devgn confirmed for SS Rajamouli's next RRR starring Ram Charan and Jr NTR". Times Now. 14 March 2019. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Naatu Naatu Oscars Winning moment|Best Original Song Oscar 2023 #RRR - AYODHYANAGAR". AYODHYA NAGAR. 2023-03-14. Archived from the original on 2023-03-14. Retrieved 2023-03-15.