The transmitter converts direct current (DC) into alternating current (AC) at the desired frequency. Usually a quartz crystal sets the frequency of the resulting carrier wave. A modulator modifies the carrier wave, by frequency modulation or amplitude modulation or some other kind, to include the information needed, such as an audio or video signal. The modified waves are sent by an antenna to another antenna at the receiver which extracts the information from the waves.
Other websites[change | change source]
- International Telecommunication Union
- Jim Hawkins' Radio and Broadcast Technology Page
- WCOV-TV's Transmitter Technical Website
- Major UK television transmitters including change of group information, see Transmitter Planning section.
- Richard Moore's Anorak Zone Photo Gallery of UK TV and Radio transmission sites