|County of Estonia|
|• Governor||Tõnis Blank|
|• Total||2,980 km2 (1,150 sq mi)|
|Population (Jan 2009)|
|• Density||12.308/km2 (31.88/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||EE-70|
Rapla County (Estonian: Rapla maakond), or Raplamaa, is one of the 15 counties of Estonia. It is located west of the country. 36,678 people live in Rapla County. This is 2.7% of the total population in Estonia (as of January 2009).
History[change | change source]
The first written records of Rapla date back to the 1241 Danish census (Liber Census Daniae).
County government[change | change source]
The county government (Maavalitsus) is led by a governor (maavanem). The governor is appointed by the Government of Estonia for a term of five years.
Municipalities[change | change source]
The county is divided into municipalities. There are 10 rural municipalities (vallad – parishes) in Rapla County:
- Juuru Parish
- Järvakandi (borough)
- Kaiu Parish
- Kehtna Parish
- Kohila Parish (includes the borough of Kohila)
- Käru Parish
- Märjamaa Parish (includes the borough of Märjamaa)
- Raikküla Parish
- Rapla Parish (includes the town of Rapla)
- Vigala Parish
Geography[change | change source]
Gallery[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Population by sex, ethnic nationality and County, 1 January". stat.ee. Statistics Estonia. 1 January 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-18.
Other websites[change | change source]
- County Government Official website