Rawlings Gold Glove Award
The Rawlings Gold Glove Award, usually referred to as the Gold Glove, is the award given annually to the Major League Baseball (MLB) players determined to to be the best fielders at each fielding position in both the National League (NL) and the American League (AL). Voting is done by the managers and coaches in each league, and they may not may not vote for their own players. Sabermetrics affect about 25 percent of the vote.
In 1957, the baseball glove manufacturer Rawlings created the Gold Glove Award to honor the best fielding performance at each position. At first, only one Gold Glove was given out to the top fielder at each position in Major League Baseball; however, separate awards were given for the National and American Leagues beginning in 1958. Eighteen Gold Gloves have been awarded each year (with the exception of 1957, 1985 and 2007), one at each of the nine positions in each league.
Sources[change | change source]
- "A-Rod breaks Vizquel's streak; AL West earns eight of nine". Sports Illustrated. Associated Press. November 13, 2002. Archived from the original on 9 January 2014. Retrieved May 26, 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Rawlings to Unveil Ballot". Rawlings. February 13, 2007. Archived from the original on February 5, 2009. Retrieved June 4, 2009.
Members of the original 1957 Rawlings Gold Glove Team: Willie Mays, CF (New York Giants); Al Kaline, RF (Detroit Tigers); Minnie Minoso, LF (Chicago White Sox); Frank Malzone, 3B (Boston Red Sox); Nellie Fox, 2B (Chicago White Sox); Gil Hodges, 1B (Dodgers); Roy McMillan, SS (Cincinnati Reds); Sherm Lollar C (Chicago White Sox); and Bobby Shantz, P (New York Yankees).CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Rawlings (October 25, 2013). "Rawlings Gold Glove Award Finalists Announced". Press release. Archived from the original on January 9, 2014. https://www.webcitation.org/6MUOQLhRF?url=http://www.rawlings.com/newsdetaillanding.aspx?id=1561. Retrieved June 12, 2017.
- "National League Gold Glove Award Winners". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved June 4, 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "American League Gold Glove Award Winners". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved June 4, 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "About the Award". Rawlings. Archived from the original on February 23, 2009. Retrieved June 4, 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)