|60th Mayor of New Orleans, Louisiana|
May 6, 2002 – May 3, 2010
|Preceded by||Marc Morial|
|Succeeded by||Mitch Landrieu|
|Born||June 11, 1956|
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
|Spouse(s)||Seletha Smith Nagin|
|Profession||Cox Communications Executive|
Clarence Ray Nagin, Jr. (English pronunciation: /ˈneɪgɨn/) (born June 11, 1956) was the mayor of New Orleans. He was first elected on March 2, 2002, to succeed his fellow Democrat, Marc Morial. Nagin gained international attention in 2005 in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, which devastated the New Orleans area.
In 2014, Nagin was convicted on twenty of twenty-one charges of wire fraud, bribery, and money laundering related to bribes from city contractors before and after Hurricane Katrina and was sentenced to ten years in federal prison.
References[change | change source]
- "Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin indicted for corruption". Reuters. January 18, 2013. Archived from the original on 18 January 2013. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- Bailey, David (April 1, 2013). "Trial of former New Orleans mayor delayed until October". Reuters. Archived from the original on November 15, 2015. Retrieved August 31, 2017.
- Live coverage: Ray Nagin convicted, guilty on 20 charges | NOLA.com
- Fahrenthold, David A. (February 12, 2014). "Former New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin convicted on bribery, other charges". Washington Post.
- "Ex-New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin sentenced to 10 years". USA Today. July 9, 2014. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Ray Nagin, Former New Orleans Mayor, Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison". New York Times. July 9, 2014. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
Other websites[change | change source]
- BBC NEWS | Americas |Profile: Ray Nagin, BBC News
- Nagin calls for rebuilding 'chocolate' New Orleans, CNN 1/17/2006
- The City of New Orleans Archived 2005-09-10 at the Wayback Machine
- Campaign contributions made by Ray Nagin Archived 2005-11-27 at the Wayback Machine
- Louisiana Emergency Operations Plan Archived 2005-09-05 at the Wayback Machine
- Mayor to feds: 'Get off your asses', CNN transcript and the audio Archived 2005-09-05 at the Wayback Machine of WWL-AM radio interview.
- Profile on CityMayors.com
- Southeast Louisiana Evacuation Plan Supplement Archived 2005-09-05 at the Wayback Machine
- New Orleans “overrun” by Mexicans Archived 2013-05-13 at the Wayback Machine
- Profile of Ray Nagin in Tulane University Magazine Archived 2008-10-05 at the Wayback Machine
- Nagin Works Both Sides of Aisle for Aid The Wall Street Journal, January 10, 2006
- The Tavis Smiley Show - interview with Ray Nagin Archived 2022-03-28 at the Wayback Machine, January 13, 2006
- Ray Nagin's Redemption, by William Robinson, Washington Post, May 23, 2006
- Labou Movie Archived 2007-12-30 at the Wayback Machine - Independent Film In Which Ray Nagin stars as the Mayor of New Orleans.