A reign is the period of time that a monarch (a king, queen, emperor, etc.) rules over a country. It can also be the period of time that a spiritual leader rules in a particular office. For example, the reign of a pope, dalai lama, patriarch etc. A reign can also be used for an office or championship. In many cases a reign lasts until the monarch (or leader) resigns, dies, or is removed. A monarch's reign was sometimes used to mark time officially. In Anglo-Saxon England for example, many royal documents were dated by the regnal year of the king. This lasted until about the 10th century.
Current Longest Reigning Monarchs[change | change source]
Some of the longest reigning current monarchs are:
- Elizabeth II, United Kingdom, 62+ years .
- Sikiru Kayode Adetona, Nigeria, 55+ years.
- Hassanal Bolkiah, Brunei, 47+ years.
- Goodwill Zwelithini kaBhekuzulu, Zulu nation, 46+ years.
- Qaboos bin Said al Said, Oman, 44+ years.
- Margrethe II of Denmark, 42+ years.
- Sultan bin Muhammad Al-Qasimi, United Arab Emirates, 42+ years.
- Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden 41+ years.
Some of the longest reigning monarchs of all time are:
- Sobhuza II, Swaziland, reigned for 82 years, 253 days.
- Bernard VII, Lord of Lippe, reigned for 81 years, 234 days.
- Bhagvat Singh, ruler of Gondal, India, reigned for 74 years, 87 days.
- Louis XIV of France reigned for 72 years, 110 days.
Shortest Reigning Monarchs in History[change | change source]
Some of the shortest reigns in history are:
- Louis Antoine, Duke of Angoulême as "Louis XIX of France", reigned for 20 minutes.
- Dipendra of Nepal, reigned for 56 hours (in a coma).
- Dục Đức reigned as Emperor of Vietnam for 3 days.
- Lady Jane Grey reigned as Queen of England for 9 days.
- Edward V of England was King of England for 2 months, 16 days.
- Dafydd ap Gruffydd was the Prince of Wales (last independent ruler) for 6 months, 11 days.
References[change | change source]
- "reign". Merriam-Webster, Incorporated. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- Michael Jones, A Handbook of Dates: For Students of British History (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004), p. 21
- "World's longest-serving monarchs – where does the Queen rank?". The Telegraph. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- Caroline Davies (9 September 2015). "UK's longest-reigning monarch, but Queen ranks only 48th in world". The Guardian. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- Victoria Lambert (16 January 2016). "King for a day: who was the shortest-reigning monarch?". The Telegraph. Retrieved 30 December 2015.