Republic of Molossia
Republic of Molossia
Republiko De MolossiaMicronation
|Motto: Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained|
|Anthem: "Fair Molossia is Our Home" by Kevin Baugh|
|Official languages||English, Esperanto|
|Organizational structure||Nominally constitutional presidential republic; de facto Military dictatorship|
|Legislature||National Assembly (advisory only)|
|September 3, 1999|
|0.0053 km2 (0.0020 sq mi)|
|Time zone||Molossian Standard Time (UTC-7 hours, 41 minutes)|
|Calling code||+1 775|
Molossia, also known as the self-proclaimed Republic of Molossia, is a micronation, founded by Kevin Baugh and headquartered in his home near Dayton, Nevada. Baugh has also been the president since 3 September 1999. Before holding this office Baugh was prime minister of Vuldstein, Edelstein, and Zaria from 1977 to 1999. He changed Molossia from a monarchy to a republic.
Molossia is made up of Baugh's house (known as the Government House), about 0.001 acres (4 m2) in size, as well as 1.3 acres (5,000 m2) of surrounding property, enclaved by Nevada. It formerly claimed a property in Pennsylvania as well. According to author John Ryan, Molossia is "a hobby that has been pushed to the nth degree." Originally established as a childhood project in 1977, Molossia subsequently evolved into a territorial entity in the late 1990s.
The name Molossia is derived from the Spanish word morro which means "small rocky hill". Baugh has stated that the ancient Greek tribe of Molossians is unrelated.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Our New National Anthem Republic of Molossia (www.molossia.org). Janurary 28, 2014. Retrieved on 2014-09-04.
- ↑ "Newsbites". Republic of Molossia. 18 March 2012. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 "Republic of Molossia - Official Website". Republic of Molossia. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- ↑ "From BDSM colonies to bedroom empires: The best unofficial micronations around the world". 11 July 2016.
- ↑ "Nevada is home to a 'foreign' nation". 28 September 2018.
- ↑ "Masters of micronations: Meet people who started their own tiny countries". 27 August 2014.
- ↑ "Molossia and Vikesland? Leaders of (Fake) nations gather in L.A." CBS News.
- ↑ "'Lonely Planet' Explores Micronations". Day to Day. National Public Radio. 2006-11-01. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
Other websites[change | change source]
- The Republic of Molossia official website
|KML file (edit • help)