The best-known portrait of Burns,
by Alexander Nasmyth, 1787 (detail)
|Born||25 January 1759|
Alloway, Ayrshire, Scotland
|Died||21 July 1796 (aged 37)|
Robert Burns (25 January 1759 – 1796) was a famous poet born in Alloway, Ayrshire, Scotland. Some of his most famous poems include To A Mouse, Auld Lang Syne, and Tam o Shanter. Burns is seen as the national poet of Scotland. Much of his work is written in broad Scots, a version of English. His poem and song A Man's A Man For A' That was sung at the opening of the Scottish Parliament in 1999. "To A Louse, On Seeing One on a Lady's Bonnet at Church" is a 1786 Scots poem by Robert Burns.
Notes[change | change source]
- "Robert Burns". Academy of American Poets. Retrieved 2008-12-23.
References[change | change source]
- Burns, R (1993). Bold, A, ed. Rhymer Rab: An Anthology of Poems and Prose. London: Black Swan. ISBN 1-84195-380-6.
- Burns, R (2003). Noble, A; Hogg, PS, eds. The Canongate Burns: The Complete Poems and Songs of Robert Burns. Edinburgh: Canongate Books. ISBN 1-84195-380-6.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Cousin, John William (1910). A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature. London: J. M. Dent & Sons. Wikisource
- Dietrich Hohmann: Ich, Robert Burns, Biographical Novel, Neues Leben, Berlin 1990 (in German)
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Robert Burns|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Robert Burns.|
- Modern English translations of poems by Robert Burns
- Works by Robert Burns at Project Gutenberg
- Robert Burns website at National Library of Scotland
- Archival material relating to Robert Burns listed at the UK National Archives
- Legacy of Robert Burns – National Archives of Scotland website
- Cousin, John William (1910). A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature. London: J. M. Dent & Sons, p. 57
- A recital of Tam o Shanter a Tale
- A recital Address to the Unco Guid
- A recital of Address to a Haggis
- Video recital of Tam o' Shanter at YouTube
- Video recital Address to the Unco Guid or the rigidly righteous at YouTube
- A Recital Holly Willie's Prayer including Epitaph on Holly Willie