|King of Scots|
|Reign||22 February 1371 – 19 April 1390|
|Coronation||26 March 1371|
|Born||2 March 1316|
Paisley Abbey, Renfrewshire
|Died||19 April 1390 (aged 74)|
Dundonald Castle, Ayrshire
|Spouse||Elizabeth Mure Euphemia de Ross|
|Issue||Robert III, King of Scots
Walter, Lord of Fife Robert, Duke of Albany Alexander, Earl of Buchan David, Earl of Caithness Walter, Earl of AthollThomas, Bishop of St. Andrews
Robert II (2 March 1316 - 19 April 1390) was King of Scotland from 1371 through 1390. He was the first king of the House of Stewart. He is known as Robert the Steward and succeeded the popular David II to the throne. He was crowned in 1371 and had 1 child, Robert III or "Robert the Lame" with Elizabeth Mure, he was mentally unstable and was born as John Stewart, he changed his name to Robert as he would be crowned John II recognizing John Balliol's claim as legitimate which would spark war.
Birth[change | change source]
He was born on 2 March 1316 in Paisley Abbey, Renfrewshire. He was the son of Walter Stewart and Marjorie Bruce. His mother died in childbith on 2 March and his father died 1326 and was buried in Paisley Abbey, where Robert II was born.
Reign[change | change source]
His reign began on 22 February 1371 upon his uncle's death (David II), he descended through Robert the Bruce and was crowned on March 26th of 1371. He wasn't a very popular king and died on 19 April 1390, he was succeeded by his son Robert III.
Marriage[change | change source]
He had 2 wives during his lifetime, his first wife Elizabeth Mure and his second wife Euphemia de Ross.King Robert II had more children than any other King of Scotland, in all 15 by his two marriages.
By Elizabeth he had:
(1) John, Earl of Carrick (later ROBERT III) c.1337-1406
(2) Walter Stewart c. 1338-1362
(3) Robert, Earl of Albany c. 1340-1420
(4) Margaret Stewart m. John Macdonald, Lord of the Isles
(5) Alexander, Earl of Buchan 'The Wolf of Badenoch' c.1343-1405
(6) Marjorie Stewart m. (i) John Dunbar, Earl of Moray (ii) Alexander Keith
(7) Jean Stewart m. (i) Sir John Keith (ii) Sir John Lyon (iii) Sir James Sandilands
(8) Isabel Stewart m. (i) James Douglas, Earl of Douglas (ii) David Edmondstone
(9) Katherine Stewart
(10) Elizabeth Stewart m. sir Thomas Hay, Lord High Constable of Scotland
By Ephemia he had:
(11) David, Earl of Caithness d. before 1389
(12) Walter Stewart, Earl of Atholl d. 1437
(13) Margaret Stewart
(14) Elizabeth Stewart m. David Lindsay, Earl of Crawford
(15) Egidia Stewart m. Sir William Douglas of Nithsdale
Robert II also had 8 illegitimate children by various mothers
Depictions/Paintings[change | change source]
Robert Stuart II by James Roberts. c. 1600 (print).
Seal of Robert II.
Depiction of Robert II (crooked eyes).
Groat of Robert II.
Seal of Robert II (depiction of the seal).
Print of Robert II with Euphemia de Ross.
References[change | change source]
- "Robert II, king of Scots". geni_family_tree. Retrieved 2017-06-03.
- Mike Mahoney. "Scottish Monarchs - Kings and Queens of Scotland - Robert II". www.englishmonarchs.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-06-03.
- Susan Abernethy (2014-03-22). "The Two Wives of Robert II, King of Scots ~ Elizabeth Mure and Euphemia Ross". The Freelance History Writer. Retrieved 2017-06-03.