Rolling in the Deep
||This article needs to be updated. (January 2017)|
|"Rolling in the Deep"|
|Single by Adele|
|from the album 21|
|B-side||"If It Hadn't Been for Love"|
|Released||29 November 2010|
|Recorded||Eastcote Studios, London|
|Certification||8× Platinum (RIAA)|
|Adele singles chronology|
"Rolling in the Deep" is a song by English singer-songwriter Adele. It is from her second studio album, 21. The song was written by Adele and Paul Epworth. Adele has described it as a "dark blues-y gospel disco tune". It was released as the lead single on 29 November 2010 in the Netherlands. "Rolling in the Deep'" became Adele's first number-one hit single in the United States and Canada. It was also her first top-five hit in several countries.
Critics have given positive reviews for the song. It reached number one in Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, and Switzerland. It also reached top ten in Austria, Canada, Denmark, Ireland, New Zealand, and Norway. The song debuted at number two in the United Kingdom. There, it became Adele's third top-ten single.
"Rolling in the Deep" became Adele's second single to chart in the United States. After that, it became her first single to go to top of a Billboard chart. This was when it reached number one on the Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks chart in March 2011.[source?] It also became her first number one hit in the country when the song reached #1 in the Billboard Hot 100 in May 2011. As of May 2011, "Rolling in the Deep" had sold over 2 million digital copies in the US. The song is her best-selling single in the country. It has sold more copies than her previous best-selling single "Chasing Pavements".
Composition[change | change source]
The song has "martial arts", "pounding piano keys" (played by Neil Crowley) and "chanting backing singers". Critics have said Adele's vocals are like Wanda Jackson's "dirty-blues growl." AOL Radio Blog's Nadine Cheung says the song is "sung from the perspective of a scorned lover, who is finally able to see the light, but despite regretful sentiments, reconciliation is not an option here."
Critical reception[change | change source]
The song was praised by critics for Adele's powerful voice, the lyrics and the song's instrumentation. The Sun called the song an "epic, foot-stomper of a pop anthem." They said it had a thumping piano. According to The Sun, Adele's vocals seemed to be that of a veteran who has been singing for 20 years . Bill Lamb from About.com gave it 5 stars out of 5. He praised her voice and the emotion with which she sang the song. He said the song could "raise chills up the spine." He added that after hearing the song, people would want to hear the full album. Jason Lipshutz from Billboard praised the chorus of the song and its instrumentation. Lipshutz praised Adele's vocal performance. He said Adele was confident about her vocal ability. Lipshutz praised the way Adele started the chorus of the song. Rolling Stone's Barry Walters gave "Rolling in the Deep" a positive review. He said Adele's voice was "powerful but not particularly pop" in the song. He said that the song started with "a stroked acoustic guitar." But he described its end as "stomping" and one that has hand-clapping. He said this showed that the English liked to modify Black American roots music.
Music video[change | change source]
Track listing[change | change source]
- Digital download
- "Rolling in the Deep" – 3:48
- Digital EP
- "Rolling in the Deep" – 3:48
- "Rolling in the Deep (Jamie xx Shuffle)" – 4:17
- "Rolling in the Deep (Acapella)" – 3:56
- CD single
- "Rolling in the Deep"
- "If It Hadn't Been for Love" (Michael Henderson, Christopher Stapleton)
Credits and personnel[change | change source]
Credits are taken from 21 liner notes.
- Backing vocals, Lead vocals - Adele
- Songwriting – Adele, Paul Epworth
- Production, bass, acoustic guitar, electric guitar and backing vocals – Paul Epworth
- Mixing – Tom Elmhirst
- Mixing assistant – Dan Parry
- Recording – Mark Rankin
- Piano – Neil Cowley
- Drums – Leo Taylor
- Mastering – Tom Coyne
Charts and certifications[change | change source]
Release history[change | change source]
|Netherlands||29 November 2010||XL Recordings||Digital download|
|United States||30 November 2010||Columbia Records|
|Germany||14 January 2011||XL Recordings||CD single|
|Australia||16 January 2011||Digital EP|
|United Kingdom||17 January 2011||CD single|
References[change | change source]
- "ADELE: ADELE NEW SINGLE “ROLLING IN THE DEEP” NEW ALBUM “21”". Adele.tv. 1 November 2010. http://www.adele.tv/news/161/adele-new-single-rolling-in-the-deep-new-album-21-. Retrieved 9 December 2010.
- Trust, Gary (20 April 2011). "Rihanna's 'S&M' Reigns on Hot 100, Lady Gaga's 'Judas' Debuts". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. http://www.billboard.com/#/news/rihanna-s-s-m-reigns-on-hot-100-lady-gaga-1005144922.story. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- Grein, Paul (6 April 2011). "Week Ending May 1, 2011. Songs: Even Divas Struggle". Yahoo!. http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/74360/week-ending-may-1-2011-songs-even-divas-struggle/. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- Lamb, Bill. "Adele - Rolling In the Deep - Review Of the Rolling In the Deep Single By Adele". About.com. http://top40.about.com/od/singles/gr/Adele-Rolling-In-The-Deep.htm. Retrieved 9 December 2010.
- Eliscu, Jenny (23 July 2010). "In the Studio: Adele Goes Country on Fall Disc | Rolling Stone Music". Rolling Stone. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/184422.
- Cheung, Nadine (16 November 2010). "Adele, 'Rolling in the Deep' -- New Song - AOL Radio Blog". AOL Radio Blog. http://www.aolradioblog.com/2010/11/16/adele-rolling-in-the-deep/. Retrieved 9 December 2010.
- "Adele’s Rolling back to the top | The Sun". The Sun. 3 November 2010. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/3209467/Adeles-Rolling-back-to-the-top.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=Bizarre. Retrieved 9 December 2010.
- Lipshutz, Jason (3 December 2010). "Adele, "Rolling in the Deep" | Billboard.com". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/new-releases/adele-rolling-in-the-deep-1004133659.story#/new-releases/adele-rolling-in-the-deep-1004133659.story. Retrieved 16 December 2010.
- Walters, Barry (15 December 2010). "Rolling in the Deep by Adele | Rolling Stone Music". Rolling Stone. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/songreviews/rolling-in-the-deep-20101215. Retrieved 16 December 2010.
- "ADELE: Exclusive first view of Adele's 'Rolling In The Deep' tonight on Channel 4.". Adele.tv. 3 December 2010. http://www.adele.tv/news/174/exclusive-first-view-of-adele-s-rolling-in-the-deep-tonight-on-channel-4. Retrieved 9 December 2010.
- "Rolling In the Deep - Single van ADELE - Download Rolling In the Deep - Single op iTunes" (in Dutch). iTunes Store. https://itunes.apple.com/nl/album/rolling-in-the-deep-single/id403038084. Retrieved 9 December 2010.
- Rolling in the Deep - EP by Adele - Download Rolling in the Deep - EP on iTunes. iTunes Store. Retrieved on 20 January 2011.
- "Rolling in the Deep: Adele: Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004DK49WI/. Retrieved 16 December 2010.
- (2010) Release notes for "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele (liner notes). XL Recordings.
- "australian-charts.com - Adele - Rolling In The Deep". Hung Medien. 25 April 2011. http://australian-charts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Adele&titel=Rolling+In+The+Deep&cat=s. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Adele – Rolling In The Deep Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien.
- "Ultratop.be – Adele – Rolling In The Deep" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- "Ultratop.be – Adele – Rolling In The Deep" (in French). Ultratop 40. Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- "Adele Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Adele. Prometheus Global Media.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201118 into search. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "Danishcharts.com – Adele – Rolling In The Deep". Tracklisten. Hung Medien.
- "Finnishcharts.com – Adele – Rolling In The Deep". Suomen virallinen lista. Hung Medien.
- "Lescharts.com – Adele – Rolling In The Deep" (in French). Les classement single. Hung Medien.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche - musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Top 100 Airplay Chart". IFPI Greece. 27 March 2011. http://billboard.com.gr/airplay/i20.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart. GfK.
- "Italiancharts.com – Adele – Rolling In The Deep". Top Digital Download. Hung Medien.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Adele search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Stichting Nederlandse Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Adele – Rolling In The Deep". Top 40 Singles. Hung Medien.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Adele – Rolling In The Deep". VG-lista. Hung Medien.
- "Archive Chart". Scottish Singles Top 40. The Official Charts Company.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201110 into search. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Adele – Rolling In The Deep" Canciones Top 50. Hung Medien.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Adele – Rolling in the Deep". Singles Top 60. Hung Medien. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Adele – Rolling In The Deep swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart. Hung Medien.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart. The Official Charts Company.
- "Adele Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Adele. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Adele Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Adele. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Rolling in the Deep - Adele". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/song/adele/rolling-in-the-deep/23343667#/song/adele/rolling-in-the-deep/23343667. Retrieved 2011-04-07.
- "dutchcharts.nl - Dutch charts portal" (in Dutch). dutchcharts.nl. Hung Medien / hitparade.ch. http://dutchcharts.nl/yearchart.asp?cat=s. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- "Track Top-40" (in Danish). International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. Hitlisten.NU. 18 March 2011. http://www.hitlisterne.dk/default.asp?w=10&y=2011&list=t40. Retrieved 26 March 2011.
- "Gold/Platin–Datenbank [Gold/Platinum Database]" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. http://www.musikindustrie.de/gold_platin_datenbank/?action=suche&strTitel=&strInterpret=Adele&strTtArt=&strAwards=checked. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- "CERTIFICAZIONI DOWNLOAD FIMI" (in Italian) (PDF). http://www.fimi.it/temp/cert_Nielsen_week1011.pdf. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- "Certified Awards Search". BPI. http://www.bpi.co.uk/certifiedawards/Search.aspx. Retrieved 20 March 2011.
- "RIAA – Gold & Platinum". Recording Industry Association of America. https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab_active=default-award&se=adele#search_section. Retrieved 2011-04-06.
- "Amazon.com: Rolling In The Deep: Adele: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CTP55A.
- Rolling in the Deep: Adele: Amazon.de: Musik
Other websites[change | change source]