Russell County, Kansas
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Russell County Courthouse in Russell
Location within the U.S. state of Kansas
Kansas's location within the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1867|
|Named for||Avra P. Russell|
|• Total||899 sq mi (2,330 km2)|
|• Land||886 sq mi (2,290 km2)|
|• Water||13 sq mi (30 km2) 1.5%%|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||7.9/sq mi (3.1/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−6 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−5 (CDT)|
Russell County (standard abbreviation: RS) is a county in the U.S. state of Kansas. In 2010, 6,970 people lived there. The county seat is Russell. Russell is also the biggest city in Russell County.
History[change | change source]
In 1867, Russell County was established.
Geography[change | change source]
People[change | change source]
|U.S. Decennial Census|
Government[change | change source]
Presidential elections[change | change source]
Education[change | change source]
Unified school districts[change | change source]
- Central Plains USD 112 (serves Dorrance and southeastern part of county south of I-70; extends into Barton, Ellsworth and Rice Counties)
- Sylvan-Lucas Unified USD 299 (serves Lucas, Luray and northeast part of county along K-18; extends into Lincoln County)
- Natoma/Paradise/Waldo USD 399 (serves Paradise, Waldo and northwest part of county along K-18; extends into Osborne and Rooks Counties)
- Russell USD 407 (serves cities of Russell, Gorham, Bunker Hill and rural south central and southwest parts of county; does not extend into any other counties)
Communities[change | change source]
Cities[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on July 17, 2011. Retrieved July 28, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 28, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved July 28, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 28, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 28, 2014.
More reading[change | change source]
- Russell County in the War : Being a Record of the War Activities of the County and the Part that it Played in the Great Struggle; John E. Wilson; Capper Printing; 190 pages; 1921.
- Plat Book of Russell County, Kansas; North West Publishing Co; 47 pages; 1901.
- Guide Map of the Best and Shortest Cattle Trail to the Kansas Pacific Railway; Kansas Pacific Railway Company; 1875. (Read Online)(Map)
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Russell County, Kansas.|
- Russell County Fair, held the first week of August
- Russell County Maps: Current, Historic, KDOT
- Kansas Highway Maps: Current, Historic, KDOT
- Kansas Railroad Maps: Current, 1996, 1915, KDOT and Kansas Historical Society