Rutherford, New Jersey
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Rutherford, New Jersey
|Borough of Rutherford|
Welcome to Rutherford sign
Map highlighting Rutherford's location within Bergen County. Inset: Bergen County's location within New Jersey.
Census Bureau map of Rutherford, New Jersey
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Incorporated||September 21, 1881|
|Named for||John Rutherfurd|
|• Body||November 14, 2015|
|• Mayor||Joseph DeSalvo Jr. (R, term ends December 31, 2019)|
|• Administrator||Vacant (since May 2015)|
|• Municipal clerk||Margaret "Missy" Scanlon|
|• Total||2.942 sq mi (7.618 km2)|
|• Land||2.806 sq mi (7.267 km2)|
|• Water||0.136 sq mi (0.352 km2) 4.61%|
|Area rank||337th of 566 in state|
28th of 70 in county
|Elevation||66 ft (20 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Rank||143rd of 566 in state|
16th of 70 in county
|• Density||6,437.4/sq mi (2,485.5/km2)|
|• Density rank||73rd of 566 in state|
21st of 70 in county
|Time zone||UTC−5:00 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4:00 (Eastern (EDT))|
|GNIS feature ID||0885383|
References[change | change source]
- O'Keefe, Daniel. "Fall colors may not be so bright", South Bergenite, October 7, 2010. Accessed February 2, 2012. "True to its name, the Borough of Trees is one of the better places in the South Bergen area to observe the change of seasons. For most people the two seasons that rival for favorite are autumn and spring: spring has all the pinks, whites and startling greens that appear after long months of cold, dead winter, but autumn has the brilliant oranges, reds and yellows of trees as they slowly start to shed their leaves in preparation for the lean months ahead.... New Jersey certified tree expert Bill Comery, who works part-time for Rutherford, said that means trouble for trees not just in the near future but for years to come."
- Kuperinsky, Amy. "'The Jewel of the Meadowlands'?: N.J.'s best, worst and weirdest town slogans", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, January 22, 2015. Accessed July 12, 2016. "Rutherford, while accessible through bustling Route 17, is 'The Borough of Trees' because of tall trees that form canopies over its residential streets."
- History of Rutherford, Rutherford Downtown Partnership. Accessed July 12, 2016. "Rutherford, incorporated in 1881, was the first borough of Bergen County."
- 2010 Census Gazetteer Files: New Jersey County Subdivisions, United States Census Bureau. Accessed May 21, 2015.
- US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- 2019 New Jersey Mayors Directory, New Jersey Department of Community Affairs. Accessed August 1, 2019.
- Moss, Linda. "Rutherford begins search for a new borough administrator", The Record (Bergen County), April 14, 2015. Accessed June 17, 2016. "The borough will once again be searching for an administrator with the exit of Richard Sheola after less than a year in the role."
- Borough Clerk, Borough of Rutherford. Accessed October 7, 2019.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Borough of Rutherford, Geographic Names Information System. Accessed March 11, 2013.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 for Rutherford borough, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed March 13, 2013.
- Profile of General Demographic Characteristics: 2010 for Rutherford borough, New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development. Accessed March 13, 2013.
- GCT-PH1 Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - State -- County Subdivision from the 2010 Census Summary File 1 for New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed March 13, 2013.
- Look Up a ZIP Code for Rutherford, NJ, United States Postal Service. Accessed August 30, 2011.
- Zip Codes, State of New Jersey. Accessed August 19, 2013.
- Area Code Lookup - NPA NXX for Rutherford, NJ, Area-Codes.com. Accessed August 29, 2013.
- American FactFinder, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- Geographic codes for New Jersey, Missouri Census Data Center. Accessed September 1, 2019.
- US Board on Geographic Names, United States Geological Survey. Accessed September 4, 2014.