|52nd United States Secretary of the Interior|
Assumed office |
March 1, 2017
|Preceded by||Sally Jewell|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Montana's at-large district
January 3, 2015 – March 1, 2017
|Preceded by||Steve Daines|
|Succeeded by||Greg Gianforte|
|Member of the Montana Senate|
from the 2nd district
January 2009 – January 2011
|Preceded by||Dan Weinberg|
|Succeeded by||Dee Brown|
Ryan Keith Zinke|
November 1, 1961
Bozeman, Montana, U.S.
University of Oregon (BS)|
National University (MBA)
University of San Diego (MS)
|Service/branch||United States Navy|
|Years of service||1986–2008|
SEAL Team Six|
SEAL TEAM ONE
NAVAL SPECIAL WARFARE CENTER
Meritorious Service Medal
Ryan Keith Zinke (born November 1, 1961) is an American politician. He is the 52nd and current United States Secretary of the Interior. He is member of the Republican Party. He served as a member of the Montana State Senate, representing Senate District 2 from 2009 to 2011. He was the Republican congressman for Montana's at-large congressional district having won in the 2014 election. He resigned as a U.S. representative on March 1, 2017.
Early life[change | change source]
Zinke earned a B.S. in geology in 1984 at the University of Oregon. Zinke later earned an M.B.A. from National University in 1993 and an M.S. in global leadership from the University of San Diego in 2003.
United States representative (2015–2017)[change | change source]
In Congress, Zinke has supported the deployment of U.S. ground troops to combat ISIL, "abandoning" the Affordable Care Act, and cutting regulations. He supported a Republican effort to repeal the estate tax.
United States Secretary of the Interior (since 2017)[change | change source]
On December 13, 2016, President-elect Donald Trump picked Zinke for the position of United States Secretary of the Interior. Zinke was confirmed on March 1, 2017, becoming the first Navy SEAL to occupy a Cabinet position.
Personal life[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Ryan Zinke Announces Statewide Bus Tour". 30 April 2014. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- Zinke, Ryan (2016). American Commander: Serving a Country Worth Fighting For and Training the Brave Soldiers Who Lead the Way. Thomas Nelson. p. 64. ISBN 978-0-7180-8167-6.
- Smita Nordwall (December 15, 2016). "Who is Ryan Zinke?". Voice of America.
- Will Wadley, MT Republicans push repeal of 'Death Tax', KECI (April 15, 2015).
- Christopher Doering, Farm groups urge Senate to follow House and repeal estate tax, Great Falls Tribune (April 16, 2015).
- Juliet Eilperin, Trump taps Montana congressman Ryan Zinke as interior secretary, Washington Post (December 13, 2016).
- Vogel, Kenneth; Severns, Maggie (December 13, 2016). "Trump selects Zinke as interior secretary". Politico. Washington, DC. Retrieved December 13, 2016.
- Steele, Jeanette. "Zinke marks 1st Navy SEAL for Cabinet slot". sandiegouniontribune.com. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- Killough, Ashley; Barrett, Ted (March 1, 2017). "Senate approves Trump's nominee for Interior". CNN. Retrieved 1 March 2017.
- "The Voter's Self Defense System".
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ryan Zinke.|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Ryan Zinke|
- Official U.S. House website
- Campaign website
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Voting record maintained by The Washington Post
- Biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Campaign finance reports and data at the Federal Election Commission
- Appearances on C-SPAN