Subprefecture and commune
Fortis fortuna fortior (Latin: 'Courage is stronger than fortune')
|Coordinates: 21°20′31″S 55°28′40″E / 21.3419°S 55.4778°ECoordinates: 21°20′31″S 55°28′40″E / 21.3419°S 55.4778°E|
|Overseas region and department||Réunion|
|Canton||Saint-Pierre-1, 2 and 3|
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Michel Fontaine (LR)|
|95.99 km2 (37.06 sq mi)|
|• Density||890/km2 (2,300/sq mi)|
|Elevation||0–1,642 m (0–5,387 ft) |
(avg. 19 m or 62 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Saint Pierre (French pronunciation: [sɛ̃.pjɛʁ]) is a commune in the French overseas department and region of Réunion. It is the third-largest Commune in Réunion. Saint-Pierre is located on the southwest side of the island. It is the capital of the French Southern and Antarctic Lands. The commune began as a port built from 1854 to 1882. It was used for the trade between Asia and Europe. It has 400 sites for fishing and private boating. Most of the commercial boats have moved north to Le Port.
Geography[change | change source]
The town of Saint-Pierre is at the beginning of the only major road across the island. The road leads to Le Tampon, La Plaine des Cafres and Bourg Murat. There is also easy access to the Piton de la Fournaise.
Transportation[change | change source]
Pierrefonds Airport is located 5.5 km (3.4 mi) from the commune. It opened in 1999. This is a small airport for commercial traffic. It has an IATA code of ZSE.
Population[change | change source]
|Source: SPLAF and INSEE (1967-2017)|
Twin towns-Sister cities[change | change source]
Saint-Pierre is twinned with Beau-Bassin Rose-Hill, Mauritius.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020. Retrieved 8 December 2020.
- ↑ "Populations légales 2019". The National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies. 29 December 2021.
- ↑ FMEP – SAINT PIERRE PIERREFONDS. AIP from French Service d'information aéronautique, effective 23 March 2023.
- ↑ SPLAF (la Population et les Limites Administratives de la France). "Agglomérations et villes de la Réunion" [Towns and cities of Reunion Island]. Retrieved 23 February 2021.
- ↑ Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE