|United States Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom|
February 1, 2018 – January 20, 2021
|Preceded by||David Saperstein|
|46th Governor of Kansas|
January 10, 2011 – January 31, 2018
|Preceded by||Mark Parkinson|
|Succeeded by||Jeff Colyer|
|United States Senator|
November 7, 1996 – January 3, 2011
|Preceded by||Sheila Frahm|
|Succeeded by||Jerry Moran|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Kansas's 2nd district
January 3, 1995 – November 7, 1996
|Preceded by||Jim Slattery|
|Succeeded by||Jim Ryun|
|Secretary of Agriculture of Kansas|
|Governor||John W. Carlin|
|Preceded by||Harland Priddle|
|Succeeded by||Philip Fishburn|
Samuel Dale Brownback
September 12, 1956
Garnett, Kansas, U.S.
|Education||Kansas State University (BA)|
University of Kansas (JD)
Sam Brownback (born September 12, 1956) is an American politician. He was the United States Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom from February 1, 2018 until January 20, 2021. He served as the 46th Governor of Kansas from 2011 to 2018. Before he was governor, Brownback was a United States Senator and a member of the U.S. House of Representatives.
Ambassadorship[change | change source]
On July 26, 2017, the White House issued a statement that Brownback would be nominated as the new U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom.
On January 24, 2018, the Senate voted to advance his nomination to the floor, with Vice President Mike Pence casting the tie-breaking vote. Pence cast another tie-breaking vote to confirm the nomination after the cloture vote. On January 25, Brownback submitted his resignation as governor, effective January 31, 2018.
References[change | change source]
- "Harland E. Priddle". Kansas Memory. Kansas Historical Society. Retrieved 11 June 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Philip A. Fishburn - Kansas Memory". www.kansasmemory.org. Retrieved January 24, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Rhodes, Carla (August 22, 2007). "Candidate Profile Sam Brownback". CBS News. Retrieved June 10, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Smith, Mitch; Fortin, Jacey (July 26, 2017). "Gov. Sam Brownback of Kansas Will Be Nominated as Religious Ambassador". New York Times. New York City. Retrieved July 27, 2017.
- Conradis, Brandon (January 24, 2018). "Pence ends filibuster on Brownback nomination". TheHill. Retrieved January 25, 2018.
- Pappas, Alex (January 25, 2018). "Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback resigns to take Trump administration role". Fox News. Retrieved January 25, 2018.