|United States Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom|
February 1, 2018
|Preceded by||David Saperstein|
|46th Governor of Kansas|
January 10, 2011 – January 31, 2018
|Preceded by||Mark Parkinson|
|Succeeded by||Jeff Colyer|
|United States Senator
November 7, 1996 – January 3, 2011
|Preceded by||Sheila Frahm|
|Succeeded by||Jerry Moran|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Kansas's 2nd district
January 3, 1995 – November 7, 1996
|Preceded by||Jim Slattery|
|Succeeded by||Jim Ryun|
|Secretary of Agriculture of Kansas|
|Governor||John W. Carlin
|Preceded by||Harland Priddle|
|Succeeded by||Philip Fishburn|
|Born||Samuel Dale Brownback
September 12, 1956
Garnett, Kansas, U.S.
|Education||Kansas State University (BA)
University of Kansas (JD)
Sam Brownback (born September 12, 1956) is an American politician. He is the United States Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom serving since February 1, 2018. He served as the 46th Governor of Kansas from 2011 to 2018. Before he was governor, Brownback was a United States Senator and a member of the U.S. House of Representatives.
Ambassadorship[change | change source]
On July 26, 2017, the White House issued a statement that Brownback would be nominated as the new U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom.
On January 24, 2018, the Senate voted to advance his nomination to the floor, with Vice President Mike Pence casting the tie-breaking vote. Pence cast another tie-breaking vote to confirm the nomination after the cloture vote. On January 25, Brownback submitted his resignation as governor, effective January 31, 2018.
References[change | change source]
- "Harland E. Priddle". Kansas Memory. Kansas Historical Society. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "Philip A. Fishburn - Kansas Memory". www.kansasmemory.org. Retrieved January 24, 2018.
- Smith, Mitch; Fortin, Jacey (July 26, 2017). "Gov. Sam Brownback of Kansas Will Be Nominated as Religious Ambassador". New York Times. New York City. Retrieved July 27, 2017.
- Conradis, Brandon (January 24, 2018). "Pence ends filibuster on Brownback nomination". TheHill. Retrieved January 25, 2018.
- Pappas, Alex (January 25, 2018). "Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback resigns to take Trump administration role". Fox News. Retrieved January 25, 2018.