San Cristóbal, Táchira
|Nickname(s): "La Ciudad de la Cordialidad"|
|Motto: "Por un Táchira Bonito"|
|Municipality||San Cristóbal Municipality|
|• Mayor||Mónica de Méndez (2008–2012)|
|• City||247 km2 (95 sq mi)|
|Elevation||860 m (2,820 ft)|
|• Density||2,615.7/km2 (1,634.4/sq mi)|
San Cristobal is the capital city of the Táchira State in Venezuela, a mountain state. It is located in the southwest region of Táchira. San Cristobal was founded by Juan de Maldonado in March 31, 1561. San Cristobal makes a frontier by the west with Cúcuta, Colombia; by the east with the Apure state; and by the north with the states of Zulia, Barinas and Trujillo.
Education[change | change source]
San Cristobal has a large student population. There are many post-secondary schools, both public and private, in San Cristobal. Major colleges and universities of San Cristobal are listed below:
- Universidad Nacional Experimental del Táchira (UNET)
- Universidad de los Andes (ULA)
- Universidad Católica del Táchira (UCAT)
- Universidad Nacional Experimental de las Fuerzas Amadas (UNEFA)
- Universidad Nacional Abierta (UNA)
- Instituto Universitario Politecnico Santiago Mariño
- Instituto Universitario Antonio Jose de Sucre
- Instituto Universitario Monseñor Talavera
- Instituto Universitario Jesus Enrique Lozada
Climate[change | change source]
The weather in San Cristobal is tropical; the temperatures are between 19℃ and 28℃ (66 °F and 83 °F). San Cristobal is characterized has two seasons: summer and spring. The temperatures between those two seasons do not change a lot. However, there is more rain in the spring than in the summer.
Political Divisions[change | change source]
- Parroquia San Juan Bautista^
- Parroquia La Concordia
- Parroquia Pedro María Morantes
- Parroquia San Sebastián
- Parroquia Francisco Romero Lobo
Sports[change | change source]
The Deportivo Táchira Fútbol Club was founded in 1974 by Gaetano Greco. The Stadium of the Deportivo Tachira is located in the north side of San Cristobal, and it is called Polideportivo de Pueblo Nuevo, and it has a capacity for 38,755 people.
Famous Citizens[change | change source]
- Rafael de Nogales Méndez, soldier and writer.
- Isaías Medina Angarita, served in the military and former president of Venezuela.
- Manuel Felipe Rugeles, poet and journalist.
- Luis Felipe Ramón y Rivera, folklorist and musician.
- Francisco Arias Cárdenas, Former Governor of Zulia State, Presidential Candidate and Representat of Venezuela at the UN.
- Veruska Tatiana Ramírez, model and former Miss Venezuela.
- Giancarlo Maldonado, footballer.
- Tomas Rincon, footballer.
- Édgar Ramírez, actor.
Notes[change | change source]
- 1.^ Parroquia is a section of the city.