San Pedro de Macorís Province
|San Pedro de Macorís|
|Development region||Higuamo (IX)|
|Capital||San Pedro de Macorís|
|- elevation||17 m (56 ft)|
|Lowest point||Caribbean Sea|
|- elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|Area||1,254.3 km² (484 sq mi)|
|Population||290,458 (2010) |
|Density||232 /km² (601 /sq mi)|
2 municipal districts
|Congresspersons||1 Senator |
|Area code||1-809 1-829 1-849|
Name[change | change source]
The province has the same name of the capital of the province. In English, San Pedro is "Saint Peter"; "Macorís" was the name of a group of native people that lived in the Hispaniola. That name Macorís, or Macorix, was given to the river where the city of San Pedro de Macorís was founded..
History[change | change source]
San Pedro de Macorís was created as a Maritime District (a special administrative category that has been abandoned) on 13 June 1882. The 1907 Dominican Constitution change its status to province. It was part of the old province of Santo Domingo and of the El Seibo province before being elevated to the category of province with the municipalities of Macorís (later, San Pedro de Macorís), Ramón Santana and San José de Los Llanos.
Location[change | change source]
The San Pedro de Macorís province is bordered to the north by the Hato Mayor and El Seibo provinces, to the east by the La Romana province and to the west by the Monte Plata and Santo Domingo provinces.The Caribbean Sea is to the south of the province.
Population[change | change source]
Its population represents 3.08% of the total population of the country and the province is ranked as the 7th (out of 31 plus the National District) more populated province.
About 80% of the population is black, the rest of the 20% is mostly mulatto.
Geography[change | change source]
The San Pedro de Macorís province has a total area of 1,254.3 km2 (484.3 sq mi). It has 2.6% of the area of the Dominican Republic and it is ranked as the 18th (out of 31 plus the National District) largest province.
The San Pedro de Macorís province is in the "Llano Costero del Caribe" ("Caribbean Coastal Plain"), a large plain in southeastern Dominican Republic where there are many savannas with grasses. There are not high mountains in the province, only some low hills.
The rivers in this province are not very long but they have much water; their sources are in the mountains north of the province and flow south to the Caribbean Sea. The most important rivers are, from east to west:
- Cumayasa, which is the border with the La Romana Province
- Higuamo. The city of San Pedro de Macorís is at its mouth. Its name was Macorís (or Macoríx) after joining the Casuí but that name is not used any more for the river.
- Casuí. It is a tributary of the Higuamo river.
- Brujuelas, which forms the border with the Monte Plata Province and is part of the border with the Santo Domingo Province. The last 8 kilometres (5.0 miles) of this river are underground.
Climate[change | change source]
The climate of the province is a tropical climate, hot most of the year.
Municipalities[change | change source]
|Municipal Districts (code)||Population
|San Pedro de Macorís (230101)||195,307||146.7||1,331.3||17|
|San Pedro de Macorís (230100)||195,307||146.7||1,331.3|
|San José de Los Llanos (230201)||14,901||284.0||52.5||39|
|El Puerto (230202)||4,167||123.2||33.8||72|
|San José de Los Llanos (230200)||22,573||439.8||51.3|
|Ramón Santana (230301)||8,901||250.8||35.5||17|
|Ramón Santana (230300)||8,901||250.8||35.5|
|San Pedro de Macorís (230000)||290,458||1254.3||231.6|
Economy[change | change source]
In the last years of the 19th century, during the war of independence in Cuba, many Cuban and American companies came to the Dominican Republic to grow sugar cane and to produce sugar. San Pedro de Macorís is the Dominican province where there are more sugar cane factories and the port of San Pedro de Macorís became one of the most important port in the country.
In the city of San Pedro de Macorís, manufacturing is important, mainly cement, rum and in industries in the Zona Franca ("free zone" where the industries do not pay taxes and all the production is sent to other countries).
References[change | change source]
- "División Territorial 2012" (PDF) (in Spanish). Oficina Nacional de Estadística (ONE). May 2012. p. 14. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "IX Censo Nacional de Población y Vivienda 2010" (PDF) (in Spanish). Oficina Nacional de Estadística. June 2012. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "División Territorial 2015" (PDF) (in Spanish). Oficina Nacional de Estadística (ONE). October 2015. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "REPÚBLICA DOMINICANA: Población por año calendario, según sexo y grupos quinquenales de edad, 2015-2020" (XLS) (in Spanish). Oficina Nacional de Estadística (ONE). Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "San Pedro de Macorís". Geonames.org. Retrieved 28 November 2016.