|1st President of Barbados|
|Assumed office |
30 November 2021
|Prime Minister||Mia Mottley|
|Preceded by||Position established|
Elizabeth II (as Queen of Barbados)
|8th Governor-General of Barbados|
8 January 2018 – 30 November 2021
|Prime Minister||Freundel Stuart|
|Preceded by||Philip Greaves (acting)|
|Succeeded by||Position abolished|
Sandra Prunella Mason
17 January 1949
Saint Philip, Barbados
|Education||University of the West Indies, Cave Hill (LLB)|
Hugh Wooding Law School (LEC)
Dame Sandra Prunella Mason, (born 17 January 1949) is a Barbadian politician, lawyer and diplomat. She was the eighth and last Governor-General of Barbados and has been the 1st and current President of Barbados since 2021.
Life and career[change | change source]
In 1975, she obtained a Legal Education Certificate from Hugh Wooding Law School in Trinidad and Tobago. She was admitted to the bar on 10 November the same year, becoming the first female member of the Barbados Bar Association.
References[change | change source]
- Deane, Sandy (2017-12-27). "Justice Sandra Mason is Barbados' New GG". Barbados Today. Archived from the original on 2017-12-28. Retrieved 2017-12-28.
- "New G-G named". Barbados Advocate. 2017-12-28. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "Sandra Mason to be new Governor General". www.nationnews.com. 2017-12-27. Retrieved 2022-03-26.
- "Congrats to the new GG". www.nationnews.com. 29 December 2017. Archived from the original on 2019-07-11. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "New Governor General Dame Sandra Mason installed". www.nationnews.com. 8 January 2018. Archived from the original on 2019-07-26. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "Governor General Dame Sandra named first president-elect". Loop Barbados. Retrieved 21 October 2021.