Scandinavian Airlines (fd. Scandinavian Airlines System) (SAS) is the flag carrier of Sweden, Norway and Denmark. On August 1, 1946, the airline was founded.  The first flight was held on September 17, 1946.  In 1959, it bought its first jet aircraft.  The Boeing 747 and DC-10 wide-body airplanes were bought the early 70s  In 1976, SAS started a partnership with Thai Airways and in 1989, SAS started another partnership with Continental Airlines.  SAS launched its frequent-flyer program in 1992.  SAS helped start the Star Alliance in 1997.  Starting in 2012, SAS started having many financial troubles. In 2013, the airline introduced new classes on its planes to compete with budget airlines.  The airline currently operates many routes in Europe, Africa, Asia and North America.
Fleet[change | change source]
|Airbus A319||4||0||141(0/0/141)||Europe, Scandinavia|
|Airbus A320||13||0||168 (0/0/168)||Europe, Scandinavia|
|Airbus A321||8||0||187 (0/0/187)||Europe, Scandinavia|
|Airbus A330-300||4||4||264 (34/35/195)||North America|
|Airbus A340-300||8||0||245 (46/28/171)||North America and Asia|
|Airbus A350 XWB||8||308 (36/32/240)||international||Deliveries in 2018|
|Boeing 717||5||0||115 (0/0/115)||Scandinavia|
|Boeing 737-400||0||0||150 (0/0/150)||retired|
|Boeing 737-500||0||0||120 (0/0/120)||retired|
|Boeing 737-600||27||0||112-123 (0/0/112-123)||Domestic, Scandinavia, Europe||Largest operator of the Boeing 737-600|
|Boeing 737-700||29||0||131-141 (0/0/131-141)||Norway domestic, Scandinavia, Europe|
|Boeing 737-800||29||0||186 (0/0/186)||Domestic, Scandinavia, Europe|
|Bombardier CRJ900||12||3 + 17 options||88 (0/0/88)||Domestic, Scandinavia, Europe||Dash-8 replacement aircraft.|
Gallery[change | change source]
On-board service on SAS in 1969.
A Scandinavian Airlines plane at Los Angeles International Airport.
References[change | change source]
- "SAS Scandinavian Airlines Fleet Details and History". www.planespotters.net.
- "SAS Makes Your Travel Easier". www.flysas.com.
- "1960s: Welcome to the Jet Age - Scandinavian Traveler". Scandinavian Traveler - For the modern traveler from Scandinavian Airlines.
- "SAS : The United Nations of the Air". www.boeing.com.
- Burton, Richard M.; Obel, Borge (2012). Strategic Organizational Diagnosis and Design: Developing Theory for Application. Springer Science & Business Media. p. 134. ISBN 978-1-4684-0023-6.
- "SAS EuroBonus Members Can Now Easily Transfer EuroBonus Points to Friends and Family Through Points.com". Points International Ltd.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-11-25. Retrieved 2016-04-30.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)