Scott Walker (politician)
|45th Governor of Wisconsin|
January 3, 2011
|Preceded by||Jim Doyle|
|Executive of Milwaukee County|
April 30, 2002 – December 27, 2010
|Preceded by||Janine Geske (Acting)|
|Succeeded by||Lee Holloway (Acting)|
|Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly
from the 14th district
June 30, 1993 – April 30, 2002
|Preceded by||Peggy Rosenzweig|
|Succeeded by||Leah Vukmir|
|Born||Scott Kevin Walker
November 2, 1967
Colorado Springs, Colorado, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Tonette Tarantino (1993–present)|
|Alma mater||Marquette University (did not graduate)|
Early life[change | change source]
Early career[change | change source]
Walker began his political career in the Wisconsin State Assembly, serving from 1993–2002. After the 2002 resignation of Tom Ament as Executive of Milwaukee County, Walker won the special election to fill the seat, which he held from 2002 to 2010.
Governor of Wisconsin (2011-present)[change | change source]
After being sworn into office in 2011, Walker introduced a budget repair plan which limited many collective bargaining powers for most public employees. The legislation led to significant protests at the Wisconsin State Capitol and an effort to recall Walker.
In June 2012, Walker faced Barrett in Wisconsin's only gubernatorial recall election. After emerging as the winner, Walker became the only governor in the U.S. to date to win a gubernatorial recall election.
Personal life[change | change source]
Walker married Tonette Tarantino in 1993. Together, they have 2 children.
2016 presidential campaign[change | change source]
Walker has been seen by many as a potential candidate for the GOP's nomination in the 2016 presidential election. He formed a 527 organization in January of 2015. On June 18, 2015 Walker took a further step towards a presidential campaign when he established a "testing-the-waters" federal campaign committee. 
References[change | change source]
- Eyder Peralta; NPR (June 5, 2012). "Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker Survives Recall". npr.org. http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/06/05/154384654/live-blog-wisconsin-decides-governors-fate-in-recall-vote.
- Balz, Dan. "Scott Walker forms committee in preparation for 2016 presidential bid". http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/01/27/scott-walker-forms-committee-in-preparation-for-2016-presidential-bid. Retrieved April 17, 2015.
- Rafferty, Andrew (1970-01-01). "Scott Walker Makes Another Move Towards 2016 Run". Nbcnews.com. http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/scott-walker-makes-another-move-towards-2016-run-n377641. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- "Scott Walker on Twitter". Twitter. https://twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/620554821028876288.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Governor Scott Walker official State of Wisconsin website
- Scott Walker for Governor campaign website
- 2011 State Budget Battle, collected coverage at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel of the budget repair bill and the 2011–13 state budget