Servant of the People (TV series)
|Servant of the People|
|Created by||Volodymyr Zelensky|
|Directed by||Aleksey Adolfovitsj Kirjusjtsjenko|
|Theme music composer||Dmytro Shurov|
|Country of origin||Ukraine|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||51|
|Production location(s)||Kyiv, Ukraine|
|Running time||40—90 minutes|
|Picture format||1080i (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original release||November 16, 2015 –|
March 28, 2019
Servant of the People (Ukrainian: Слуга народу, romanized: Sluha Narodu, Russian: Слуга народа, romanized: Sluga Naroda, is a Ukrainian political satire comedy television show that started on 16 October 2015.
Vasyl Petrovych Holoborodko, who is a high school history teacher, is the main character. The story begins when he unexpectedly becomes the President of Ukraine after he is filmed being angry about corruption in Ukraine in a viral video.
Ironically, the show joking about political became politically involved in Ukraine. On 31 March 2018, a political party Servant of the People was created and recorded to the Ministry of Justice. The actor who played the fictional President of Ukraine was actually elected President of Ukraine on 21 April 2019.
Cast and characters[change | change source]
Protagonist[change | change source]
- Vasyl Petrovych Holoborodko (Volodymyr Zelensky): President of Ukraine
Vasyl's family[change | change source]
- Petro Holoborodko (Viktor Saraykin): father
- Mariya Holoborodko (Nataliya Sumska): mother
- Natasha Sakhno (Anna Koshmal): niece
- Svetlana Petrovna Sakhno (Kateryna Kisten): sister
- Olha Yuriyivna Mishchenko (Olena Kravets): ex-wife
Ministers in government[change | change source]
- Yuriy Ivanovich Chuiko (Stanislav Boklan): Prime Minister of Ukraine
- Serhiy Mukhin (Yevhen Koshovy): Minister of Foreign Affairs and a former actor
- Ivan Skorik (Oleksandr Pikalov): Minister of Defence and a former captain
Others[change | change source]
- Mikhaylo Sanin (Yury Krapov)
- Anna Mikhailovna (Halyna Bezruk)
Production[change | change source]
Kvartal 95 Studio is the producer of Servant of the People is produced by Kvartal 95. Actor Volodymyr Zelensky, who plays the main character in the show, is one of the studio's founders.
Release[change | change source]
Servant of the People was shown on the 1+1 channel in Ukraine. Later, Kvartal 95 Studio also uploaded every episode to YouTube. The show is also available on Netflix in a few countries.
Film and other seasons[change | change source]
In 2016, a feature film named Servant of the People 2 was shown. There was later a second television season released in 2017, and the third season was shown in 2019.
Sources[change | change source]
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Jacobsen, Katherine (13 December 2016). "How a Fictional President Is Helping Ukrainians Rethink Their Absurd Politics". Foreign Policy. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Kao, Anthony (6 June 2017). "Ukraine's 'Servant of the People' is a hidden gem of political comedy". Cinema Escapist. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- ↑ Kao, Anthony (22 August 2017). "Interview: Vladimir Zelenskiy on playing Ukraine's president in 'Servant of the People'". Cinema Escapist. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- ↑ "Ministry of Justice registered the party "Servant of the People"". Ukrainian News Agency (in Russian). 26 April 2018. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- ↑ "Ukrainian political comedy series 'Servant of the People' Season 2 will be released in October 2017". kvartal95.com.
- ↑ "Servant of People 3 TV series starts on 1+1 TV channel on March 27 | KyivPost - Ukraine's Global Voice". KyivPost. Interfax-Ukraine. 22 March 2019. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Servant of the People on IMDb
- народа Video at YouTube
- Servant of the People Archived 2019-03-29 at the Wayback Machine on Netflix (only some countries) (subscription required)
- Servant of the People on Facebook