Shamanism is a practice where a practitioner reaches altered states of consciousness. Supposedly, the shaman perceives and interacts with a spirit world, and channels these energies into this world.
A shaman is a person regarded as having access to, and influence in, the world of good and bad spirits. They usually enter into a trance state during a ritual, and do divination and healing. To become a shaman, a person has to have had a near death experience (a "shamanic illness").
Shamans play a central role in these movements, as they can be in both worlds, this one, and the world of spirits.
Beliefs[change | change source]
- Spirits are real and can do things in the real world.
- There are good and evil spirits.
- Healing can be done in the spirit and real world.
- A person's spirit can leave their body and go into the world of the spirits.
- Animal shapes are used to interact with the spirits.
Shamanism is different from animism.
Films[change | change source]
- Quantum Men (Carlos Serrano Azcona) Spain 2011
- Other Worlds (Jan Kounen) France 2004
- Bells From the Deep (Werner Herzog) Germany 1993
- The Mad Masters (Jean Rouch) France 1955
- Au pays des mages noirs (Jean Rouch) France 1947