Shillong (Khasi: Shillong, Hindi: शिलांग) is a city in India. Shillong is the capital of Meghalaya. The East Khasi Hills district is in Shillong. In 2001, the city had a population of 260,520. Shillong is a major place in north-east India for education, because it has many schools and universities.
Demographics[change | change source]
As of the 2001 India census, Shillong had a population of 232,946. Males and females are both 50% of the population. About 80% of people in Shillong can read, which is higher than the national average of 59.5%. 83% of males can read, and 78% of women can read. In Shillong, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Khasis make up most of the population. However, the percentage of Khasi people is decreasing because many other people are moving there. People of all the other northeast Indian tribes live in Shillong. Many Bengali, Nepali, Assamese, Biharis and Marwaris also live there.
Christianity is the main religion in the city. Protestants make up 75% of the Christian population of Shillong and Catholics make up the remaining 25%. A lot of people in Shillong follow the original Khasi religion. There are also many other religions in the city.
References[change | change source]
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. http://web.archive.org/web/20040616075334/http://www.censusindia.net/results/town.php?stad=A&state5=999. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Shillong|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide about: Shillong|