|Born||25 August 1906|
|Died||24 November 1973 (aged 67)|
|Education||Doctor of Divinity, Doctor of Civil Law|
|Occupation||University teacher, editor, writer, biblical scholar|
Biography[change | change source]
He was a scholar of St Chad's College, Durham. After ordination in York Minster in 1934 he served as a parish priest in England for eleven years, then for eight years was Chaplain and Lecturer at Bishop Otter Training College, Chichester. In 1952, he became Dean of Divinity and Harrold Professor at Bishop's University, Lennoxville, Quebec. In 1966, he became Dean of Theology and in 1971 Dean Emeritus, as well as first Chairman of the Division of Graduate Studies. In 1955, Diocesan College, Montreal, conferred on him the degree of Doctor of Divinity (honoris causa) and in 1970 Bishop's University granted him the honorary degree of Doctor of Civil Law. He was one of the founders of the International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies (IOSCS) including Robert A. Kraft.
Published works[change | change source]
He also wrote a number of articles for learned journals, such as New Testament Studies and the Catholic Biblical Quarterly. In 1968, his definitive work on 20th century Septuagint studies was published by Oxford Clarendon Press, entitled The Septuagint and Modern Study.
- Sidney Jellicoe (1968). The Septuagint and modern study. Oxford: Clarendon Press. ISBN 9780198266174. OCLC 362777.
- Sebastian P Brock; Charles Theodore Fritsch; Sidney Jellicoe (1973). A classified bibliography of the Septuagint. Arbeiten zur Literatur und Geschichte des Hellenistischen Judentums. Vol. 6. Leiden, Netherlands: E.J. Brill. OCLC 760456592.
- Sidney Jellicoe (1974). Studies in the Septuagint: origins, recensions, ad interpretations: selected essays. Library of biblical studies. New York. OCLC 470456469.
References[change | change source]
- Ronald E. Reeve (1974). "Sidney Jellicoe (1906 - 1974): Scholar, Teacher, Priest and Gentleman" (PDF). Bishop's University Alumni Magazine. Anido, John "Community mourns Rev Jellicoe" The Campus.
- Christopher Nicholl; Bishop's University (1994). Transition. Bishop's University, 1843-1970. McGill-Queen's Press - MQUP. p. 231. ISBN 9780773511767.
- "Bulletin of the International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studios" (PDF). Letters in Canada. 1973.
- Robert J. V. Hiebert; Cameron Boyd-Taylor (2017). "A Short History of Septuagint Studies in Canada". JSCS. Vol. 50: 41.
- "The Septuagint and Modern Study". Logos.
- Wade, Donald V. (July 1969). "Religion". University of Toronto Quarterly. University of Toronto Press. Vol. 38 (4): 426–436. ISSN 0042-0247.
- W. D. McHardy (June 1969). "The Septuagint and Modern Study. by Sidney Jellicoe. Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1968. Pp. xx + 424. 65s". Scottish Journal of Theology. Volume 22 (Issue 2): 222. doi:10.1017/S0036930600023814.
- Robert A. Kraft (October 1970). "Reviewed Work: The Septuagint and Modern Study by Sidney Jellicoe». The Jewish Quarterly Review". Vol. 61 (2). University of Pennsylvania Press: 167. JSTOR 1453432. Cite journal requires