Simple English Wikipedia
Type of site
|Online encyclopedia project|
|Headquarters||Miami, Florida, United States|
|Launched||September 18, 2001|
The Simple English Wikipedia is often used by:
Experts often use complex words. Editors describe those words in a simple way. This makes Simple English articles a good way to understand complex articles from English Wikipedia. If someone cannot read an idea in complex English, they can read a Simple English article.
When Simple English Wikipedia started making pages and allowing changes in 2003, the English Wikipedia already had 150,000 articles. Seven other Wikipedias in other languages also had over 15,000 articles. Because the other Wikipedias already have a lot of articles, most Simple English articles are not new. They are usually simpler versions of already existing articles from the ordinary English Wikipedia. Right now, the Simple English Wikipedia has 212,748 articles. Simple English Wikipedia is the 49th largest Wikipedia as of February 2022.
- English Wikipedia
- Wikipedia administrators
- Wikipedia:Simple English Wikipedia
- Simple English Wiktionary
- Simple English: a list of articles about attempts to simplify English
- Tim Dowling (January 14, 2008). "Wikipedia too long-winded for you? Try the simple version". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- "Simple English Wikipedia - Meta". meta.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 2021-11-23.
- Koen Smets. "Automatic Vandalism Detection in Wikipedia: Towards a Machine Learning Approach" (PDF). University of Antwerp. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- Wikimedia list of Wikipedias and their statistics Retrieved 24 December 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Simple English Wikipedia.|