Simple English Wikipedia
Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
|Headquarters||Miami, Florida, United States|
The Simple English Wikipedia is often used by:
Many articles are shorter than the same articles in the English Wikipedia. However, technical subjects often use terms that are not simple. Editors try to explain these terms in a simple way. This makes Simple English articles a good way to understand difficult articles from the ordinary English Wikipedia. If someone cannot understand an idea in complex English, they can read the Simple English article.
When the Simple English Wikipedia started creation of pages and allowing changes in 2003, the ordinary English Wikipedia already had 150,000 articles. Seven other Wikipedias in other languages also had over 15,000 articles. Because the other Wikipedias already have so many articles, most Simple English articles are not new. They are usually simplified versions of already existing articles from the ordinary English Wikipedia. Right now, the Simple English Wikipedia has 202,254 articles. Simple English Wikipedia is the 50th largest Wikipedia as of December 2020.
Related pages[change | change source]
- English Wikipedia
- Wikipedia administrators
- Wikipedia:Simple English Wikipedia
- Simple English Wiktionary
- Simple English: a list of articles about attempts to simplify English
References[change | change source]
- Tim Dowling (January 14, 2008). "Wikipedia too long-winded for you? Try the simple version". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- "Simple English Wikipedia - Meta". meta.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 2021-11-23.
- Koen Smets. "Automatic Vandalism Detection in Wikipedia: Towards a Machine Learning Approach" (PDF). University of Antwerp. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- Wikimedia list of Wikipedias and their statistics Retrieved 24 December 2020.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Simple English Wikipedia.|