Reese Witherspoon Pharell WilliamsMathhew Mcconaughey
Sing 2 is a 2021 American computer-animated musical comedy film produced by Illumination and Universal Pictures. It is the sequel to Sing (2016). It was released on December 22, 2021. The film was directed and written by Garth Jennings.
Plot[change | change source]
Sometime after the events of the first film, Buster Moon is thriving with his new theater. Failing to impress talent scout Suki, who tells him he would not make it in Redshore City, Buster, encouraged by Nana Noodleman, reunites the singers who competed in the first film and takes them to the city. They sneak in for an audition with entertainment mogul Jimmy Crystal. However, uninterested in Buster's original show pitch, Gunter pitches a space-themed show which would feature Clay Calloway, a rock star who has not been seen in 15 years. Intrigued, Crystal greenlights it then tells them to have the show up and running within three weeks.
During production on the show, Rosita develops a fear of heights during rehearsal and is unable to keep on her role, which is given to Crystal's daughter Porsha while Rosita is delegated to a minor role. Meanwhile, Johnny has been assigned to work with top choreographer Klaus Kickenklober for his part in the show but feels that Klaus dislikes him. Johnny comes across a street dancer named Nooshy who agrees to help him out. Meena has been cast in a romantic scene with Darius, a self-absorbed actor with whom Meena has no chemistry. She later meets and falls in love with an ice cream vendor named Alfonso.
Ash and Buster visit Clay Calloway to convince him to be in the show. He refuses at first, but Ash changes his mind. Back at the theater, Buster asks Porsha if she would like to switch roles with Rosita, as she cannot act, which Porsha interprets as Buster firing her. Upon learning this, Crystal blames Porsha for embarrassing him and threatens Buster to drop him off his building and locks him in a closet. Suki frees Buster and warns him to get out of Redshore City before Crystal can kill him. Ash arrives with the crew and Calloway, who advises Buster not to run and hide like he did after he lost his wife. Buster then decides to have the cast and crew put on the show that night under Crystal's nose, and has Miss Crawly get Porsha to rejoin them in the show.
During the show, Klaus takes the place of Johnny's performance partner to try to undermine his number, but Johnny beats Klaus with encouragement from Nooshy and finally earns Klaus' respect while Meena visualizes Darius as Alfonso and performs a romantic duet with him. Crystal, having found out about the show, and angered when Porsha stands up to him, tries to stop it by dropping Buster off the top of the stage, which causes Rosita to get over her fear of heights to save Buster. When the time comes for Calloway to take the stage, he claims that he is not ready. Ash leads the crowd in a rendition of one of Calloway's songs, giving him the courage to perform a huge ovation.
After the show, Crystal is arrested by the police. While Buster and friends almost leave, Suki tells them that a major theater wants to put on their show. As the cast puts on their first performance, Buster watches from the VIP section, proud to have succeeded in Redshore City.
Voice cast[change | change source]
- Matthew McConaughey as Buster Moon, an optimistic koala who owns the New Moon Theater.
- Reese Witherspoon as Rosita, a pig who gave up her teenage music dreams to become a devoted housewife and mother of 25 piglets.
- Scarlett Johansson as Ash, a teenage porcupine punk rock guitarist.
- Taron Egerton as Johnny, a teenage gorilla who left his father’s criminal gang to become a singer and pianist.
- Bobby Cannavale as Jimmy Crystal, a wolf and media mogul who runs Crystal Entertainment.
- Tori Kelly as Meena, a teenage elephant with an exquisite singing voice, who previously overcame severe stage fright.
- Nick Kroll as Gunter, a passionate dancing pig who is partnered with Rosita for the show.
- Pharrell Williams as Alfonso, an elephant and ice cream vendor who becomes Meena's love interest.
- Halsey as Porsha Crystal, a wolf and spoiled but talented daughter of Jimmy Crystal.
- Chelsea Peretti as Suki, Jimmy Crystal's haughty saluki assistant and talent scout.
- Letitia Wright as Nooshy, a streetwise lynx who helps Johnny regain his confidence while he learns his choreography.
- Eric André as Darius, a self-important yak who is cast in the stage production opposite Meena in a romantic duet.
- Adam Buxton as Klaus Kickenklober, a proboscis monkey and dance instructor who teaches Johnny how to dance.
- Garth Jennings as Miss Crawly, an elderly iguana with a glass eye who works as Buster's administrative assistant.
- Peter Serafinowicz as Big Daddy, a reformed mobster gorilla and Johnny's father on work release who came to Redshore City to support Johnny and his friends ever since the events of the first film.
- Jennifer Saunders as Nana Noodleman, a sheep and a famous singer who tells Buster to follow his dreams.
- Nick Offerman as Norman, a pig and Rosita's workaholic husband.
- Bono as Clay Calloway, a white-maned aged lion who was once a rock star legend until his wife Ruby died.
- Julia Davis as Linda Le Bon, a horse and host of a talk show.
- Spike Jonze (uncredited) as Jerry, a cat and the assistant of Jimmy Crystal.
Asher Blinkoff, Julianna Gamiz, Asa Jennings, Caspar Jennings, Leo Jennings, Oscar Jennings, Ayden Soria, and Jack Stanton voice Rosita and Norman's piglets, while Matthew McConaughey's daughter Vida Alves McConaughey voices a piglet that goes scuba diving in chocolate. Edgar Wright provides the voice of a dog cop and a pig chauffeur.
References[change | change source]
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (December 21, 2020). "U2's Bono, Pharrell Williams, Halsey Join Illumination/Universal's Animated Film 'Sing 2'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 21, 2020.
- Hogan, Kate; McNiece, Mia (November 3, 2021). "The Stars Are Back for Sing 2! See the Cute Characters and the A-List Actors Who Voice Them". People. Retrieved November 4, 2021.
- "Matthew McConaughey on the Adorable Cameo His Daughter Makes in Sing 2: 'How About That?'". People. December 15, 2021. Retrieved December 28, 2021.
- Edgar Wright [@edgarwright] (June 25, 2021). "If count the Scott Pilgrim re-release, this is the 4th theatrical release of 2021 I'm involved in, so no one can say I'm not doing my part. (Okay, Garth Jennings got me to play a dog cop & a pig chauffeur, but I'm saying it counts.). My Best Supporting Actor campaign begins..." (Tweet) – via Twitter.