History[change | change source]
Praya Bhirom Bhakdi received a license to brew beer from the Thai government. In May 1933, construction of a brewery began. Boon Rawd Brewery was founded on 4 August 1933. In March 1934, production was started. Three beers were brewed: Golden Kite, Singha, and Stupa.
A royal warrant was bestowed on 25 October 1939. Boon Rawd is the only brewery permitted to display the royal Garuda. The Singha is a powerful mythological lion, found in ancient South Asian and Thai mythology.
Boon Rawd bought two German breweries at Hartmannsdorf and Mittweida, Saxony in 1994. Some Singha beer is brewed in Germany by Schlossbrauerei Au-Hallertau under licence from Singha Corporation Co., Ltd..
Beginning in September 2007, a 5.0% (abv) version of Singha replaced the 6.0% (abv) original.[source?] This new version, while still brewed in Thailand by Pathum Thani Brewery Co. Ltd., states on its label to have been brewed under the supervision of Singha Corporation Co. Ltd., instead of Boon Rawd.
From 2013, some Singha beer has reportedly been produced at Carlsberg's Russian plant for distribution in some markets. Singha is also said to use eight Carlsberg plants in Asia for production, as part of an agreement to share each other's production facilities and markets.
Governance[change | change source]
Singha Corporation, established in 2001, is a subsidiary of Boon Rawd Brewery, tasked with managing of all of Boon Rawd's 150-plus subsidiary companies. It reports directly to Boon Rawd's board of directors.
Products[change | change source]
Operations[change | change source]
In 2017, Singha Corporation sold 1.32 billion litres of Singha, Leo, and U Beer and retained a 62 percent market share in Thailand. The firm intends to sell 1.4 billion litres in 2018 and up its market share to 65 percent.
Advertising[change | change source]
Singha was the title sponsor of Francesco Cantando's Formula 1 Powerboat team from the mid-1990s up until the end of the 2013 season, making it one of the longest partnerships in the history of the sport. For 2014, Motorglass.it replaced Singha as Cantando's team's new title sponsor.
Singha is a title sponsor the Alfa Romeo Formula One team for the 2019 Formula One World Championship Season.
References[change | change source]
- "Our Beer". Singha Corporation Co., Ltd. Retrieved 26 May 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "Historical timeline". Singha Corporation, Co., Ltd. Retrieved 1 September 2018.[permanent dead link]
- "About Singha; About Garuda". Singha Corporation Co., Ltd. Retrieved 20 Jun 2018.[permanent dead link]
- Maierbrugger, Arno (14 February 2013). "Singha starts roll-out in Asia and Europe". Investvine. Retrieved 2018-09-01.
- "About us". Singha Corporation, Co., Ltd. Archived from the original on 1 September 2018. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "Singha Light Beer". Singha Corporation, Co., Ltd. Archived from the original on 14 September 2018. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- Jitpleecheep, Pitsinee (1 September 2018). "Racing through a disruptive age". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "Chelsea in new Partnership with Singha Beer". Chelsea F.C. Archived from the original on 6 June 2014. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- Manchester United. Retrieved 20. June 2018
- "Singha announced as Official Beer of MotoGP™". Moto GP. 30 April 2014. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- "News | PDC". Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2020-04-12.
-  Archived 2021-04-18 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 24. October 2018
- Singha sponsor the U's. Retrieved 20. June 2018