Sintel is a short 15-minute movie made with computers using open source software. Blender was the main program used to make the movie. It began production in September 2009 and was released on September 28, 2010. The online release was made available for download on September 30, 2010.  It was first developed under the name Projet Durian, named after a type of smelly fruit. It was changed to Sintel a word from the Dutch language, which can mean 'cinder', or 'ember'.
Overview[change | change source]
Sintel is a story about a girl who lives in the made-up city. One day, a dragon lands on the roof of a house she is standing next to. The dragon is hurt, so she helps it. She and the dragon (which she names Scales) become good friends. One day, Scales goes to chase a group of birds flying in the sky. Another, bigger, dragon comes along, and kidnaps Scales. Sintel goes to looks for Scales. She finds the adult dragon in a Dragon Blood tree, There she fights the big dragon and kills it. But, it turns out that the big dragon is actually Scales. The movie ends with Sintel sad, because she accidentally killed her friend.
Ton Roosendaal announced the movie in May 2009. He is the chairman of the Blender Foundation. The Blender Foundation and the Netherlands Film Fund paid for part of the project. The Foundation raised a lot of their funds by selling pre-orders of the DVD. Everyone who preordered before September 1 has his or her name listed in the movie's credits. The movie was released for download on the Official Durian Project website on October 1, 2010.
The movie[change | change source]
Other websites[change | change source]
- The Sintel website Archived 2011-02-25 at the Wayback Machine
- The Blender website (Blender was the program used to make Sintel)
References[change | change source]
- Humphrries, Matthew (2011) [last update]. "Blender Foundation release stunning independent short film Sintel – Tech Products & Geek News | Geek.com". geek.com. Archived from the original on 26 December 2010. Retrieved 10 February 2011.
- Durian Blog: "Durian Open Movie Project » Blog Archive » Sintel official premiere" Archived 2010-08-21 at the Wayback Machine, Durian Open Movie Project Blog, September 1, 2010
- "Durian Open Movie Project » Blog Archive » Sintel official premiere". Durian Open Movie Project Blog. September 1, 2010. Archived from the original on November 9, 2013. Retrieved February 11, 2011.
- "Sintel — Official site". Archived from the original on 2011-02-25. Retrieved 2011-02-08.
- "Definition of Cinder". Dictionary.net.
- "Logo/identity design". Durian.blender.org. Archived from the original on 2018-10-21. Retrieved 2020-04-19.
- "Sintel Press Release" (PDF). Retrieved 10 February 2011.