|Subsidiary of Activision|
|Industry||Interactive entertainment Video game industry|
|Headquarters||Foster City, California, USA|
|Glen Schofield (GM/CEO) Michael Condrey (VP/COO)|
|Products||Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3|
Sledgehammer Games is an American video game developer. It was founded in 2009 by Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey, who worked at Visceral Games and have been an important of the Dead Space franchise development.
History[change | change source]
Sledgehammer Games began to work on a Call of Duty third-person shooter in 2009, which would have changed the series dramatically: they planned to turn it into an adventure game. But when Jason West and Vince Zampella, and many other employees from left Infinity Ward in spring 2010, Activision stopped the developement of that new game. Instead, they asked Sledgehammer Games to work with Infinity Ward to develop Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 together. Sledgehammer Games had spent six months working on the Call of Duty third-person shooter before they began working with Infinity Ward. In October 2011, Sledgehammer Games have said that they will likely cancel the third-person shooter development, but will maybe continue developing in the future.
Reception[change | change source]
Sledgehammer's first title, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, sold 6.8 million copies in the US and UK alone and grossed $470 million within 24 hours. It grossed more than $775 million globally in the first 5 days. Modern Warfare 3 also topped the UK video game sales chart in the first seven days. By November 21, 2011, the game was the bestselling title in the United Kingdom, sales dropping by 87%. Modern Warfare 3 was still the top spot on the UK charts in the third and fourth week. The PS3 version of Modern Warfare 3 also topped the Japanese chart in its first week on sale. The PS3 version sold 180,372 copies, while the Xbox 360 version sold around 30,000.
Games[change | change source]
|Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (with Infinity Ward)||MW3 engine||November 8, 2011||Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii||88.49%|
References[change | change source]
- Macdonald, Keza (2011-11-11). "Modern Warfare 3 Has Biggest Launch of Anything Ever". IGN.com. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- Magrino, Tom (2011-11-11). "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 sets new launch records". GameSpot.com. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- Ivan, Tom (2011-11-17). "MW3 Sets 5 Day Entertainment Sales Record". CVG. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Purchese, Robert (2011-11-14). "MW3 Topped UK video game sales charts". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "UK Top 40: MW3 Denies AC". Eurogamer.net. 2011-11-21. Retrieved 12-03-11. Check date values in:
- "UK Chart: MW3 Holds Top Spot". CVG. 2011-11-28. Retrieved 2011-11-30.
- Rose, Mike (2011-12-05). "Fourth Consecutive Week At Top Of UK Charts For MW3". Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- "MW3 Tops Japanese Chart". CVG. 2011-11-24. Retrieved 2011-11-30.
- "GameRankings Reviews: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)". GameRankings.
- "GameRankings Reviews: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PlayStation 3)". GameRankings.
- "GameRankings Reviews: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PC)". GameRankings.
- "GameRankings Reviews: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Wii)". GameRankings.