Sleep apnea (or Sleep apnoea) is a problem certain people have: When they sleep, they may stop breathing for short periods. These periods can last for 10 seconds or more. 3-4 breaths are missed. As a result of this, those affected are often tired during the day. Mainly because such people also tend to have microsleep, they should not drive vehicles. Sleep apnea is a treatable disease.
Signs and symptoms[change | change source]
- loud snoring
- lowering of concentration
Finding out if someone has sleep apnea[change | change source]
People can ask their partner or family member if they are breathing strangely when they are sleeping.
Treatment[change | change source]
- In case the patient is obese, losing weight improves sleep apnea.
- Fixing the environment where they sleep
- Continuous positive airway pressure(CPAP)
- Expiratory positive airway pressure(EPAP)
- Circular breathing technique (It makes muscle of the upper airway stronger, so airway remains opening when sleeping. Playing didgeridoo is good for learning this technique.
Complication[change | change source]
Effects[change | change source]
- Intolerable sleepiness of daytime
- Less concentration
- Loud snoring
- Night frequent urination
- Headache when waking up
When there are no house mates, it may take time to discover this condition. When especially subjective symptoms are weak, the state will get worse gradually and it will start a serious problem.
Other websites[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Puhan MA, Suarez A, Lo Cascio C; et al. (2005). "Didgeridoo playing as alternative treatment for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome: randomised controlled trial". BMJ. 332 (7536): 266–70. doi:10.1136/bmj.38705.470590.55. PMC 1360393. PMID 16377643.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Sleep Apnea Machines". Archived from the original on 2017-01-30. Retrieved 2015-10-28.
- Is it snoring or sleep Apnea?