|State of South Dakota|
The Mount Rushmore State (official)
|Motto(s): Under God the People Rule|
|State song(s): "Hail, South Dakota!"|
|Largest city||Sioux Falls|
|Largest metro||Sioux Falls metropolitan area|
|• Total||77,116 sq mi |
|• Width||210 miles (340 km)|
|• Length||380 miles (610 km)|
|• % water||1.7|
|• Latitude||42° 29′ N to 45° 56′ N|
|• Longitude||96° 26′ W to 104° 03′ W|
|• Total||882,235 (2018 est.)|
|• Density||11.44/sq mi (4.42/km2)|
|• Median household income||$55,065 (29th)|
|• Highest point||Black Elk Peak|
7,244 ft (2208 m)
|• Mean||2,200 ft (670 m)|
|• Lowest point||Big Stone Lake on Minnesota border|
968 ft (295 m)
|Before statehood||Dakota Territory|
|Admission to Union||November 2, 1889 (39th or 40th)|
|Governor||Kristi Noem (R)|
|Lieutenant Governor||Larry Rhoden (R)|
|Legislature||South Dakota Legislature|
|• Upper house||Senate|
|• Lower house||House of Representatives|
|U.S. Senators||John Thune (R)|
Mike Rounds (R)
|U.S. House delegation||Dusty Johnson (R) (list)|
|• eastern half||Central: UTC -6/-5|
|• western half||Mountain: UTC -7/-6|
|Abbreviations||SD, S.D., S.Dak.|
|South Dakota state symbols|
|Flower||American Pasque flower|
|Grass||Western wheat grass|
|Tree||Black Hills Spruce|
|Other||Kuchen (state dessert)|
|State route marker|
Released in 2006
|Lists of United States state symbols|
South Dakota is a state in the United States. South Dakota became a state on November 2, 1889. Its capital is Pierre and largest city is Sioux Falls. Other important cities are Rapid City and Aberdeen. Famous attractions include Mount Rushmore, the Black Hills, and the Wall Drug Store. The Corn Palace is also famous, and it is in Mitchell.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "South Dakota Codified Laws (1–27–20)". South Dakota State Legislature. Archived from the original on January 21, 2016. Retrieved January 19, 2016. Unknown parameter
- "State Area Measurements (2010)". U.S. Census. Retrieved March 26, 2015.
- "South Dakota: Population estimates". U.S. Census Bureau. July 1, 2017. Retrieved May 6, 2017.
- "Median Annual Household Income". The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. Retrieved December 9, 2016.
- "Black Elk Peak". NGS data sheet. U.S. National Geodetic Survey. http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_mark.prl?PidBox=OT0810. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "Elevations and Distances in the United States". United States Geological Survey. 2001. Retrieved January 19, 2016.
- Elevation adjusted to North American Vertical Datum of 1988.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Dakota.|