This article needs to be updated. (November 2022)
South Papua is the planned new province in Papua. Tito Karnavian, as Minister of Home Affairs Indonesia has stated that South Papua is ready to become a new province. The districts that joined the new province candidates consisted of 4 districts and 1 municipality (under the expansion plan).
Background[change | change source]
South Papua has been struggling to become a separate province since 2002 and was again proposed to be a province in 2020. This is because the Government of Indonesia wants the people of Papua to progress. The expansion of South Papua Province was originally planned to consist of five regencies, namely Asmat Regency, Boven Digoel Regency, Mappi Regency, Bintang Bintang Regency, and Merauke Regency . However, based on regional considerations, Bintang Mountains Regency then chose to resign due to the closer distance to Jayapura City.
Administrative area[change | change source]
Reference[change | change source]
- "4 Regencies Meet to Discuss Acceleration of Expansion of South Papua Province Page all". regional.kompas.com. 24 February 2020. Retrieved 2021-05-06.
- "Minister of Home Affairs Ensures South Papua is Ready to Become a New Province". nasional.kompas.com. 29 October 2019. Retrieved 2021-05-06.
- "List of 57 New Regency Candidates & 8 New Province Candidates to be discussed by DPR". www.kai.or.id. 24 February 2020. Retrieved 2021-05-06.
- "Which People Want South Papua Province?". jubi.co.id. 8 November 2019. Retrieved 2021-05-06.
- "Bintang Mountains Regency Refuses to Join South Papua Province". jubi.co.id. 19 March 2021. Retrieved 2021-05-06.
- "Minister of Home Affairs Tito Says the Expansion of South Papua Province to Only 4 Regencies". detik.com. Retrieved 2021-09-12.
- "Merauke Agreed to be Candidate for Capital of South Papua Province". kumparan.com. Retrieved 2021-05-06.