Specialized High Schools Admissions Test
The Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT) is a test given to eighth and ninth grade students living in New York City. Students take this test if they wish to get into Specialized high schools in New York City. About 30,000 students take the test but only 3,000 can be accepted. According to U.S. News & World Report the eight specialized schools all rank among the top 200 high schools in the US.
The schools[change | change source]
- Bronx High School of Science
- Brooklyn Latin School
- Brooklyn Technical High School
- High School of American Studies at Lehman College
- High School for Math, Science and Engineering at City College
- Queens High School for the Sciences at York College
- Staten Island Technical High School
- Stuyvesant High School
Examination format[change | change source]
The SHSAT has both English and math questions. Both sections is made up of multiple-choice questions. It is recommended that students spend more than 75 minutes on each section, but students can use the time in any way you wish. There is no break in between the sections. The exam happens only once a year. Calculators cannot be used in the test.
Verbal[change | change source]
45 Multiple Choice Questions
- 30 Reading Comprehension (5 Reading passages with 6 questions each)
- 10 Logical Reasoning questions
- 5 Scrambled Paragraphs (worth 2 points each)
Mathematics[change | change source]
50 Multiple Choice Questions
- Many math topics tested
Notes[change | change source]
- The ninth specialized school is Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts. Here acceptance is by audition, the student's portfolio and their records.
References[change | change source]
- Lawrence Zimmerman; et al., Barron's New York City SHSAT Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (Hauppauge, NY: Barron's Educational Series, 2008), p. 1
- "Welcome to SHSAT Info". SHSAT.org, New York, USA. ND. Retrieved 26 October 2014. Check date values in:
- Grace Meng (22 September 2014). "High-School Admissions Test has Served New Yorker's Well". New York Post. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "Specialized High School Admission Test (SHSAT)". Elite Academy. ND. Retrieved 26 October 2014. Check date values in:
- Darcy Galane, Kaplan New York City Specialized High School Admissions Test (New York: Kaplan Publishing, 2013), p. xiii