|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit|
|Assumed office |
May 24, 2013
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Raymond Randolph|
|Principal Deputy Solicitor General of the United States|
August 26, 2011 – May 24, 2013
|Preceded by||Neal Katyal|
|Succeeded by||Ian Gershengorn|
Padmanabhan Srikanth Srinivasan
February 23, 1967
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
Padmanabhan Srikanth "Sri" Srinivasan (born February 23, 1967) is an American jurist. He is the United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit since May 2013.
He was confirmed by the United States Senate by a vote of 97–0 on May 23, 2013. Before being confirmed as a judge he was the Principal Deputy Solicitor General of the United States. He has argued 25 cases before the U.S. Supreme Court. He was also a lecturer at Harvard Law School.
Early life[change | change source]
Career[change | change source]
Federal judicial service (2013-present)[change | change source]
His Senate confirmation hearing on April 10, 2013, was uneventful. His nomination was reported to the floor of the Senate on May 16, 2013, by a unanimous vote of 18 for and 0 against. A final vote on his nomination took place on May 23, 2013, where he was confirmed 97-0. He received his commission on May 24, 2013. He received the oath of office from Chief Judge Merrick Garland on June 18, 2013.
2016 Supreme Court speculation[change | change source]
On February 13, 2016, just hours after the death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, there were rumors being published in the media that Srinivasan was the most likely nominee President Barack Obama was going to put forward to replace Scalia.
On March 16, 2016, Obama nominated Merrick Garland to replace Scalia.
Personal life[change | change source]
Srinivasan lives in Arlington, Virginia. He has been married to Carla J. Garrett.
References[change | change source]
- Huisman, Matthew (August 26, 2011). "Srinivasan Leaving O'Melveny to Become Deputy Solicitor General". The Blog of Legal Times. Retrieved August 27, 2011.
- President Obama Nominates Two to Serve on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Office of the White House Press Secretary. June 11, 2012.
- Michael Doyle (May 26, 2013). "Sri Srinivasan goes from basketball court to appeals court". Washington Post. Retrieved August 4, 2020.
- "President Obama Nominates Two to Serve on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit". The White House. 2012-06-11. Retrieved 2013-05-27.
- "President Obama Re-nominates Thirty-Three to Federal Judgeships". The White House. 2013-01-03. Retrieved 2013-05-27.
- Peters, Jeremy W. (April 10, 2013). "Easy Hearing for Obama's Choice for Court". The New York Times.
- "On the Nomination (Confirmation Srikanth Srinivasan, of Virginia, to be U.S. Circuit Judge for D.C. Circuit)". United States Senate. May 23, 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-27.
- Eilperin, Juliet (2013-05-23). "Sri Srinivasan confirmed to judicial seat in unanimous Senate vote". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2013-05-27.
- Wolf, Richard (2013-05-23). "Sri Srinivasan: Supreme Court justice in the making?". USA Today. Retrieved 2013-05-27.
- "D.C. Circuit Judge Srinivasan Sworn In" The BLT: The Blog of LegalTimes"