Stanley Peak (Ball Range)
Stanley Peak from Mt. Whymper, 2004
|Elevation||3,155 m (10,351 ft)|
|Prominence||248 m (814 ft)|
|Location||Kootenay National Park|
|Parent range||Ball Range|
Canadian Rocky Mountains
|First ascent||1901 by Edward Whymper and guides|
|Easiest route||Difficult scramble; UIAA III|
Stanley Peak is a 3,155 m high mountain (10,335 ft) located in the Ball Range, at the northeastern section of Kootenay National Park, in Canadian Rocky Mountains (British Columbia / Canada). The mountain was named in 1901 by its first climber, the English explorer Edward Whymper, after Frederick Stanley, 16th Earl of Derby, the sixth Governor-General of Canada. There are sources that date the namimg in 1912 after Stanley H. Mitchell, Secretary-Treasurer of Alpine Club of Canada.
The peak is visible from the Trans-Canada Highway and Highway 93. Stanley Glacier on the northeast face of the peak can be seen up close by following a hiking trail into a hanging valley between the peak and a southern outlier of Storm Mountain.
Stanley Peak can be ascended from a scrambling route by late summer but involves much route-finding among the many ledges and gullies on the north face. Climbing routes (UIAA III) travel the north and northeast faces.
Other BC peaks[change | change source]
There are another two peaks in British Columbia called Stanley Peak. One is 2,935 m high, located at the Squamish-Lillooet regional district ( ), 24 km north-west from Keyhole Falls and 62 km west from Gold Bridge,. The other is 2,030 m high, in the Stikine region ( ) (90 km north-west from Skagway, Alaska).
References[change | change source]
- "Stanley Peak - British Columbia #1538". Bivouac.com. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "Stanley Peak". Peakware World Mountain Encyclopedia. Peakware.com. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "Peak Stanley". Peakfinder.com. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Stanley Peak". Geo BC - BC Geographical Names. Governement of British Columbia. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Stanley Peak - British Columbia #1801". Bivouac.com. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "Stanley Peak - British Columbia #27133". Bivouac.com. Retrieved 2 June 2012.