|Washington Nationals — No. 37|
|Born: July 20, 1988
San Diego, California
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|June 8, 2010 for the Washington Nationals|
(through July 16, 2010)
|Earned run average||2.03|
Stephen James Strasburg (born July 20, 1988 in San Diego, California) is an American baseball player. He is a pitcher for the Washington Nationals in Major League Baseball (MLB). He played baseball in college at San Diego State University. While playing at San Diego State, Strasburg threw a no hitter against the Air Force Academy. The Nationals drafted him with the first pick in the 2009 MLB Draft. Strasburg signed a contract to play for the Nationals for four years while being paid more than 15 million dollars. After signing his contract, Strasburg began pitching in the minor leagues. Most people did not expect Strasburg to stay in the minor leagues for very long, though. Strasburg played very well in the minor leagues. His earned run average (ERA) for the Syracuse Chiefs, which was the final minor league team he played for, was only 1.08.
Major League Baseball career[change | change source]
Strasburg played his first game in Major League Baseball on June 8, 2010. The game had sold out just a few hours after the Nationals said that Strasburg would play on that day. He was the Nationals' starting pitcher in a game against the Pittsburgh Pirates. Strasburg pitched for 7 innings, striking out 14 Pirates batters, giving up 2 runs, and only allowing 4 hits. The Nationals won the game by a score of 5-2.
References[change | change source]
- Kilgore, Adam. "Stephen Strasburg and San Diego State are still close, even as they're miles apart". washingtonpost.com. Retrieved June 9, 2010.
- "Washington Nationals, Stephen Strasburg agree for over $15M - ESPN". sports.espn.go.com. Retrieved June 9, 2010.
- "Stephen Strasburg Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com". baseball-reference.com. Retrieved June 9, 2010.
- "Stephen Strasburg debuts for Nationals, with the baseball world watching". washingtonpost.com. Retrieved June 9, 2010.
- "Stephen Strasburg's debut draws a crowd in Angels' clubhouse - latimes.com". latimes.com. Retrieved June 9, 2010.