|Died||25 December 2018 (aged 98)|
|Awards||Padma Shri award (2018),|
National Citizen's award (2013),
Honorary doctorate (2014)
Sulagitti Narasamma (Kannada: ಸೂಲಗಿತ್ತಿ ನರಸಮ್ಮ; 1920 – 25 December, 2018) was an Indian midwife. She was from the Pavagada village, in Tumkur district of Karnataka state. She performed more than 15,000 traditional deliveries over a 70-year period of service with no medical facilities and no medical cost.
Her medical services were directed towards poor people in Karnataka. Her work was honored with the National Citizen's award of India in 2012 and the country’s fourth highest civilian award, the Padma Shri, in 2018.
References[change | change source]
- Govt. of India. "Padma Awards 2018". padmaawards.gov.in. 2018, padmaawards.
- GovOfIndia. "Story of Dr. Sulagatti Narasamma, Janani Amma – Padma Awardee 2018 in Social Work". Online Edition MyGov India. 2018, MyGov India.
- Staff. "Photos: Illaiyaraja, Ghulam Mustafa Khan, 41 others given Padma awards". Online Edition of Zee News. 2018, Express News Service.
- India.com News Desk. "MS Dhoni, Pankaj Advani Conferred With Padma Bhushan; Complete List". Online Edition of india.com. 2018, india.com.
- newindianexpress.com News Desk. "Well known midwife Sulagitti Narasamma who helped thousands of women deliver babies, no more". Online Edition of newindianexpress.com. 2018, newindianexpress.com.