City & Municipality
|Coordinates: 40°35′23″N 49°40′07″E / 40.58972°N 49.66861°ECoordinates: 40°35′23″N 49°40′07″E / 40.58972°N 49.66861°E|
|• Mayor||Eldar Azizov|
|• Total||83 km2 (32 sq mi)|
|• Density||3,900/km2 (10,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+4 (AZT)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+5 (AZT)|
Sumgayit (also, Sumgait and Sumqayyt) is one of the largest cities in Azerbaijan. It is near the Caspian Sea and about 31 kilometres away from the capital, Baku. There were 308,700 people in 2009. It was started on November 22, 1949. It is home to Sumqayit State University.
Sumgayit City F.C. plays in the Azerbaijan Premier League.
Notable people from Sumgayit[change | change source]
- Ilham Zakiyev, judoka, twice Paralympic, twice World & four times European Champion.
- Rafael Aghayev, karate
- Shahin Imranov, boxer, Beijing Olympic Games 2008 bronze medalist
- Shakhriyar Mamedyarov, chess player
- Zeinab Mamedyarova, chess player
- Mehman Huseynzade, football player
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Sumqayıt şəhər icra hakimiyyəti. Şəhərin pasportu" [Sumgayit Executive Power. Resume]. Archived from the original on 2010-12-20. Retrieved 2010-12-29.