Suzanne Cleary is an American poet. She was born in Binghamton, New York. She grew up there. She has an M.A. in Writing from Washington University, and a Ph.D. in Literature and Criticism from Indiana University of Pennsylvania. She is Professor of English at State University of New York at Rockland.
Quotation[change | change source]
"I love to read poems where I think the poet includes something that may not work or almost doesn't work. To me that's an exciting kind of risk."
Awards[change | change source]
- Winner of the 2012 John Ciardi Prize for Poetry from the University of Missouri, Kansas City
- Winner of the 2012 Emerging Writer Fellowship for Poetry from The Writer's Center, Bethesda, Maryland
- a Pushcart Prize (2005)
- the Cecil Hemley Memorial Award of the Poetry Society of America
- Julia Peterkin Award of Converse College
- Eugene Paul Nassar Poetry Prize
- Patterson Award for Literary Excellence
Books[change | change source]
- Keeping Time (2002)
- Trick Pear (2007)
- Beauty Mark (2013)
- Crude Angel (2018)
Critical writing[change | change source]
- Cleary, Suzanne. "Be Still and Know: Silence in the Poetry of Jean Valentine," in Laurel Review 40.2. (2006)
- Cleary, Suzanne. "A Control Room inside of Me," Georgia Review September 25, 2014.
References[change | change source]
- "Fall 2012 Emerging Writer Fellows". The Writer's Center. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- Part 2 at YouTube
- "Person Detail: Suzanne Cleary". New York State Literary Tree. Bright Hill Press. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- "EUGENE PAUL NASSAR PRIZE ..." Utica College. Utica College. 9 April 2015. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- "A Control Room inside of Me" Retrieved 2014.10.20