TaeTiSeo at a fan signing event for Louis Quatorze on November 27, 2015.
|Also known as||TaeTiSeo, TTS|
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Associated acts||SM Town|
|Revised Romanization||Sonyeo Sidae-TaeTiSeo|
Girls' Generation-TTS (Hangul: 소녀시대-태티서, also known as TTS, TaeTiSeo, or Girls' Generation-TaeTiSeo), was the subgroup of the girl group Girls' Generation, formed by S.M. Entertainment in 2012. It was composed of three Girls' Generation members: Taeyeon, Tiffany and Seohyun, who the last two left the agency and the group in 2017. The group released their first EP entitled Twinkle, in 2012. The second EP, Holler, was released in 2014. Then in December 2015, a third EP entitled Dear Santa was released as a Christmas special.
History[change | change source]
2012–13: Formation and Twinkle[change | change source]
On April 19, 2012, S.M. Entertainment officially announced the formation of the sub-group, affirming in its official press release that the intention was "to gain the attention of fans with all aspects of music, performances and fashion styles." He also hinted at the possibility of other sub-groups. The name "TaeTiSeo" or "TTS" was created by the first syllables of Taeyeon, Tiffany and Seohyun.
Compared to the members of Girls' Generation the main focus of TTS is on the vocal ability of each member while the original group places more emphasis in general on songs and group performances.
The single "Twinkle" was released on iTunes for everyone on April 29, 2012, along with a music video on April 30, achieving more than 10 million views on YouTube in just one week. In November 2017, the music video had 78 million views. The mini-album with the same name, Twinkle, was released digitally on April 30th5 and physically on May 2nd. The next day TTS started their album promotions in various music programs.
They became the first sub-group to achieve a "triple crown" in music shows in South Korea, they reigned in place for three consecutive weeks at No. 1. At that time, Twinkle was the album with the highest charts by a Korean artist in iTunes United States and was in the 126th place of Billboard 200. The song received 2,520,485 digital downloads in South Korea in July 2014, and the album sold 144,000 copies in South Korea, and some 28,000 more copies abroad. During the same year, the group also participated in the SMTown Live World Tour III where they presented "Twinkle", as well as a special performance by Usher who sang the song "DJ Got Us Fallin 'In Love" with EXO.During the same year, the group also participated in the SMTown Live World Tour III where they presented "Twinkle", as well as a special performance by Usher who sang the song "DJ Got Us Fallin 'In Love" with EXO.
2014–2017: Holler, reality show and Dear Santa[change | change source]
The group released their second mini-album, Holler, in September 2014. The album debuted at number one on the South Korea's Gaon Album chart and also on Billboard World Albums. Reaching number one on the Billboard makes TTS the third Korean artist and the first female group to get more than number 1 on this chart. They previously reached number one, with their debut release, Twinkle in 2012. During an interview with Billboard, the three singers said:
|“||This album was very personal for us and it was very funny... to put out a much more raw side of our music... the music we put together has much more layers, much more depth to it in terms of sound, choirs or harmonization together. Our main goal was not to be visually entertaining, but to be vocal.||”|
They also revealed that Seohyun wrote the lyrics of one of his songs, "Only U" while Tiffany was the visual director of "Holler" music video concept. During the promotions, the three singers performed on the reality show The TaeTiSeo. The show had on the personal side of Taeyeon, Tiffany and Seohyun, revealing how they live their normal daily life and what they do in their spare time. Several images of the preparation of the album were also shown.
In December 2015, TTS released its third special Christmas EP, entitled Dear Santa. The album debuted at number two on the weekly Gaon chart of South Korea and has sold at least 60,456 copies to date. Seohyun wrote the lyrics to the title track "Dear Santa". As an effort to support music education for children in Asia, TTS contributed a part of the album's sales profits to a charity called "SMile for U", a campaign held between SM Entertainment and UNICEF.
Discography[change | change source]
Extended plays[change | change source]
Filmography[change | change source]
Reality shows[change | change source]
|2014||The TaeTiSeo||OnStyle||premiered on August 26|
Music videos[change | change source]
|"OMG (Oh My God)"||Unknown|
|"Dear Santa" (English ver.)||Unknown|
References[change | change source]
- Subgroup "TTS", formed by Girls' Generation's Taeyeon, Tiffany & Seohyun, debuts in May (en coreano) Daum.net (April 19, 2012). Retrieved April 20, 2012.
- Seohyun’s ‘Twinkle’ Teaser and More Info About Girls’ Generation–TTS Released Soshified.com (Aril 27, 2012). Retrieved May 12, 2012.
- "Tiffany's Interview". Korea InStyle Magazine. No. August 2014. August 2014.
- TTS releases "Twinkle" Allkpop (April 28, 2012). Retrieved April 29, 2012.
- TaeTiSeo to drop EP ‘Holler’ next week Koreaherald.com (September 11, 2014). Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- Taetiseo to Conclude Promotions on June 3; Will Be First 4 Time Triple Crown Winner as Unit Mwave.interest.me (May 31, 2012). Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- TTS's 'Twinkle' Soars Up Charts as Girls' Generation Branches Out English.chosun.com (May 1, 2012). Retrieved August 3, 2014.
- Girls' Generation Splinter Group Enters Billboard 200 Billboard.com (May 4, 2012). Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- 2NE1 Sets New U.S. Record for Highest-Charting, Best-Selling K-Pop Album With 'Crush' Billboard.com (March 5, 2014). Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- South Korea's Gaon chart's overall download sales of 2012 (in korean) Originally from Gaonchart.co.kr (2012). Archived July 16, 2014. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- South Korea's Gaon chart's overall album sales of 2012 (in korean) Originally from Gaonchart.co.kr (2012). Archived July 23, 2014. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- MBC Broadcasts Performances from 'SMTOWN Live World Tour III' in Seoul Soshified.com (October 1, 2012). Retrieved October 2, de 2012.
- TaeTiSeo to drop EP ‘Holler’ next week The Korea Herald (September 11, 2014). Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- TTS releases new album on September 16th- Taeyeon's teaser image is revealed Osen.mt.co.kr (September 11, de 2014). Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- Taetiseo’s Mini Album ‘Holler’ Tops iTunes in Nine Countries Mwave.interest.me (eNewsWorld) (September 17, 2014). Retrieved September 17, 2014.
- Girls' Generation-TTS Earns 2nd Consecutive No. 1 on World Albums Chart Billboard (September 26, 2014). Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Girls' Generation-TTS on Why New 'Holler' EP Represents Their 'Mind, Body and Soul' Billboard (September 16, 2014). Retrieved September 17, 2014.
- Pops in Seoul-Girls′ Generation-TTS (Holler) 태티서 (Holler) Arirang Kpop's Official Youtube Channel (September 22, 2014). Retrieved September 22, 2014.
- TaeTiSeo To Star In New Reality Show 'The TaeTiSeo' Bntnews.co.uk (August 22, 2014). Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Girls Generation New Reality Show 'The Taetiseo', Stars Taeyeon, Tiffany, Seohyun Breathecast.com (August 18, 2014). Retrieved August 18, 2014.
- "Dear Santa". November 29 – December 6, 2015. Archived from the original on December 11, 2015.
- "Gaon's Yearly Album Chart 2015". Gaon Album Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- "Taetiseo Talks SNSD and Inspiration Behind ′Dear Santa′ in Christmas Spread". eWorldNews. December 20, 2015. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- "Taetiseo to Donate Part of Proceeds from ′Dear Santa′". eNewsWorld. December 1, 2015. Retrieved March 20, 2016.
- Jung Hee-seo (June 27, 2015). "8인조 소녀시대, 드디어 컴백이 다가온다". XportsNews (in Korean). Retrieved March 25, 2016.